Austin Peay thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 9, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

1 That was our worst performance under Heupel and I can’t think of a close second. Listening to the postgame show, I think he agrees

2 The passing game is concerning.

3 AP sat in a 3 deep 8 man zone most of the night. Hence the screens

4 Having that much trouble with a FCS 3 man front is not good.

5 Credit where due, AP had a game plan and their OC threw everything but the kitchen sink at us. I will applaud the read option out of Emory & Henry.

6 That said, their team is trash and I hope they lose every game this year.

7 I have seen a lot of crap officials and crap officiated games. That crew tonight is the worst I’ve ever seen. I’m only slightly amazed there wasn’t a brawl because they had no control of that game, and even less over AP. They have no business on a field anywhere.

8 All I asked is for Memphis State to do is score 27 before Lyle scored a point this year and of course that crap school can’t do it.

9 A win is a win but this team has a lot to fix and quickly.

10 Picking who you want to win between Bama and Texas is like choosing which kid you want to die.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

-Thornton is a non factor. Not good for future portal Wrs.
    -We need Mays back. Playing walkon Dayne Davis 2nd string center at UF isnt good. Hes never played center prior.
    -run more and Milton has to keep it and get us out of run plays right into the blitz when we go fast.
    -change in OC seems noticeable
    -lb trouble
    -jeudy lally doesn’t look good

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Glad we have Florida next and not UTSA. UTSA next would scare the shit out of me. Not that we can’t lose to UF, but maybe playing a rival will light a fire under some guys asses.

4. yont sum iss?

Also, no more crazy alternate uniforms (except for all black). Between tonight and SCjr last year I’ve seen enough. Bad mojo.

5. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

UTSA would have beat us tonight.

utvol0427 likes this.
  6. yont sum iss?

Definitely

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

11. [uck fay] you Bama

Poppa T and VOLinDAWGland like this.
  8. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Good thing we didn’t play them then.

InVolNerable and justingroves like this.
  9. Ssmiff

Hungry so ordered a Milton meal from McDonald’s. When I pulled up, the dude at the window just threw my food as hard as he could at me.

Daddy Gee, Memtownvol, DC Vol and 3 others like this.
  10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Did it go over the car or into the back seat?

11. Ssmiff

The filet o fish got away from him after we audibled the order

12. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

You dropped it…that’s code for you dropped it

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The stat lines are so amazing compared to the game I actually watched.

21/33 passing, 228 yards 2 TD 0 INT

228 rushing 7.1 per carry 1 TD

Held Peay to 79 yd rushing.

But watch the game and those numbers just disappear. What a weird weekend.

Memtownvol likes this.
  14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The first three 4th downs went against us, and the passing game misfired on 3rd down all day long (especially in the first quarter).

It seemed like we were fine on both sides of the ball until we got into those gotta-have-it 3rd/4th down situations and then we were trash. That was also an issue against Virginia and also Clemson last year, and was a strength with Hooker at QB, so that’s a concern going forward for sure.

TDVol1989 and A-Smith like this.
  15. Ssmiff

just a weird game from the delay and no running thru T. Refs were weird. Off passes and drops. Other coked out coach trying every trick play and going for it on 4th from his own 25. We only ran a couple plays all game. Definitely didn’t build confidence but we have also raised expectations.

16. Ssmiff

Comp hasn’t been great but we are avg almost 260 on the ground thru 2 and 4th in D1 in rushing, without much from Milton’s legs.

17. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

There were several times last night the qb draw or power was there. I kind of think they told him not to do it.

SetVol13, Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  18. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I'm going to watch the replay later tonight but as said previously, that was just a weird and ugly game.

19. Ssmiff

especially after he was slow to get up on one of his only runs. We need him to buy time and run when his throws are off. Florida will run blitz like Peay did last night if we don’t get him out of the pocket and use the middle of the field vacated as they send 5 up the middle at the rb.
    Surely offense was as vanilla as it gets. I also don’t think Florida will drop 3 deep all game. Peay either played 3 deep and forced Milton to be accurate in windows or run blitzed as we were telegraphing our hurry up plays after 6-8 yards.

20. Ssmiff

Peay also had their dbs get locked up by our Wrs blocking, got run over, flailed, threw an arm out and got the calls, changing momentum after first down plays to 2nd or 3rd and long, where they sat 3 deep. They also chop blocked all night. Coulda thrown 15 flags for it. We also had an obvious strip, got called for a couple weak PIs and should have had a couple called on them in the end zone.
    No rhythm to the game from before kickoff.

Memtownvol likes this.