Austin Peay thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Sep 9, 2023.

1. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

We haven’t caught a single one of the difficult catches in the first two games either. Heck, if we catch a quarter of them, our conversation is probably different right now.

IP likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Literally 2 or 3 less drops and we are just talking about consistency needing to improve.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Hell, they drop the easy ones. Milton hasn't played well but he's also not getting much help. Maybe they come out against UF and Milton just ropes 70 yard bombs out the gate

Memtownvol and SetVol13 like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

My overwhelming perception 2 games in is that the wide receivers aren't catching shit. People were worried about Milton's accuracy so they have a preconceived interpretation. But if you dusted those incomplete balls for fingerprints, it wouldn't just be Milton's on them.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

ITT you can run yourselves in circles talking about blaming QBs or WRs when it’s often a timing issue that’s kinda on both of them. There are some obvious drops or obvious misfires, but a lot of it is just getting them on the same page.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  6. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That's where I stand. Could Milton have thrown those better? Sure. Even Manning/Brady had misfires and most of those were caught. You get two hands on the ball in college, you should catch it.

The WRs are the bigger concern for me... and how those drops affect Milton's confidence.

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Offensive line still worries me probably more than all the rest of it

Memtownvol likes this.
  8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

We are 4th D1 in rushing averaging almost 260 ypg. Many holes have been huge. Only trouble we’ve really seen is backup walkon DT playing center and when teams run blitz the middle outnumbering us and we don’t check out of the play.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Why? Wright and Small are averaging 9 and 5 yards a carry and Milton has had time barring a few jailbreak blitzes

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It completely kills it and it takes a few drives to get it back, Saturday it never did.

Thornton has dropped 3 or 4 passes in two games, I would be hard pressed to put him in during meaningful snaps.

Everything is just a hair off

SetVol13 likes this.
  11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk. A freaking P got through with a 3 man rush a couple of times. Not a fan of Dayne Davis at center. He completely whiffed at least once. Rushing stats against these 2 opponents don’t really move me.

also throwing about 20 WR screens in a row doesn’t really give a good gauge of how well you’re pass protecting

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023