Bernie Sanders doesn't care about hair questions

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 17, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you think the GOP really wants to cut social security?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

On the issue of Social Security and Medicaid, he is.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Megan Kelly essentially called him one while in her position as an "impartial" moderator on a "Fair and Balanced" network.

Take it from a lib: he's no lib. The Republican Party used to have varied opinions on things. The candidates may have all fallen in lock-step since Reagan, but the citizens did not.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

he is? I have yet to have seen any presidential candidate suggest we cut social security and Medicaid. it's the 3rd rail. you want to get the majority of the people who actually vote against you. why do you think we haven't done anything about it already?

5. JayVols

I'm just going on what comes out of their own mouths. Kinda like how you took "You didn't build that", ya know?

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think they do, but some of their younger members don't get that social security is sacred to anyone within range of drawing it and the mantra of fiscal conservatism doesn't apply to it.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lord, don't dredge that shit up again. Droski and I will go in circles for hours.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

whose mouth are we talking about?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I want to cut it, but any politician with half a brain isn't going to make it a major part of their platform.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He's the target right now with the polls being what they are. While he doesn't fit the position he has called out both sides and Im down with that.

As someone who thinks both are destroying the country I won't draw a line between one having varying opinions while the other doesn't.

11. JayVols

Ummm.....really?

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yes. I follow politics pretty closely and this is the first I've heard of republican platform of cutting medicare and social security. the occasional guy will dance around it and say they are in favor of reform, but that's a long ways from saying they want the benefits cut.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Trump's pulling an old democratic card. "the republicans want to take your benefits!" that doesn't make it reality.

14. Beechervol

Id be fine with it being phased out by the time I retire. They can keep what I paid in over the last 20 years, just let me keep it going forward.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the existence of the occasional maverick like Trump, the Pauls, Sanders, Warren, hell even Palin and McCain-- that's the sign of a healthy democracy. There should be some "out there" folks materializing every now and then on the big stage.

16. Beechervol

If it breaks up the "reality tv" show that has become everyday politics in this country Im fine with it.

And I wouldn't vote for any of those listed.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Christie did and he was absolutely right.

18. JayVols

Ok.

19. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Through advancements in technology but there's still jobs that need done that higher wages price out of the market.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

reading up on it and he is right.

this article suggests he's way off from standard republican policy on this matter though: http://www.wsj.com/articles/christi...y-cutting-benefit-for-some-seniors-1429018212

House Republicans’ subsequent budgets didn’t include the detailed overhaul proposal and instead carved out a more passive role for Congress. They would create a process by which the Social Security Board of Trustees and the president would submit to Congress a plan for restoring solvency to the entitlement program.