Can Butch Jones Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Honestly, make some positive staff changes and bring in a recruiting class that's actually good (average 247 composite rating north of 89, at least), and I'll give him a second look right there. I don't think he has a sales pitch left, so if he successfully sells things, something has changed

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I need results on the field to even remotely make me take a second look. OK '15 really soured me and I am not sure he can ever be salvaged in my eyes. But if he gets real results on the field, and not just lucky breaks like we got early this year, then I reserve the right to change judgment.

I know Tenny's question is not will it happen, but if it did. But the chances of it happening are about as good as me becoming the next HC at UT.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I hate the guy. Hated him the day he was announced & will hate him as he walks out the door.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Supposedly he's won more games as each season progresses at every stop along his way... If that holds true next year, he will not only save himself, he'll be a target to be "poached" by some other program. How will we feel if Berch actually DOES win the SEC championship, makes the playoffs and then skedaddles for some other job?

Personally I'd still be happy to send him off to his next job but that's just me.

5. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

He has to be extended or fired after next season. You are telling me that Blackburn will extend this guy with possibly Chip Kelly and Jon Gruden on the table?

6. NorrisAlan

He has historically plateaued at year three. 8-4 or 9-3.

7. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

Tenny has started 2 threads. One stating Blackburn may not be the guy. The other stating Butch can save himself and in his opinion, will save himself. Has someone hacked his account?

8. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

You either solve the problem that is, or you solve the problem that isn't. If you solve the problem that isn't, you still have the problem that is.

This program isn't turning with Butch at the helm.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Only way he wins more than 8 regular season is with once in a generation QB play.

10. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

This is no different than real life. The Peter Principle. There just aren't that many coaches out there that can compete at the highest level of the SEC. How many QB's are drafted into the NFL every year and how many can actually compete at a high level? There just aren't that many out there and why you pay a premium for those that can.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

He didn't say what he'd save himself from or how he'd go about it. Maybe he will save himself from being fired by taking another job.

Tenny being all smokescreeny.

12. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

To be fair, he's left both previous schools after year 3.

13. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

A top 10 class will need a lot of turnover to happen.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The first few (also the most important) of your suggestions were brought up on this board (and by any semi-conscious Tennessee fan) within a few weeks of his hiring. He's had four years to get this stuff figured out and hasn't made an ounce of progress in the right direction. He does not deserve a chance to save himself.

15. NorrisAlan

That is a fair point. But I think there is enough data to spot a trend, albeit one that is paper thin. But I see nothing to convince me he does not plateau at 8 or 9 wins.

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

or adjust the offense to the players strengths. That is not happening with this guy. He would allow who would be the all-time leading rusher leave in mid-season than make adjustments.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Is there an example of another coach in a similar situation that was able to turn it around? Maybe 20-30 years ago when coaches were given more time but any recently? People often point to Dabo Swinney but he's won 10 or more games every season at Clemson other than his second year. He went 11-2 with a win over LSU in their bowl game his 4th season.

18. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

He has to win the East next year. I don't see a scenario where they extend him after 5 years without ever winning the East. The big game for him will be at home vs UGa. We'll put @UF as a loss. If he loses to UGa, obviously there is a large chance he is out of the East running. Lose to UF and beat UGa? There is a chance, although UF has to lose then lose 3 cause we aren't going to Bama and winning.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Dabo was 6-7 in year 3 after coming off a 9-4 second season.

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

We are stuck with this idiot. Get ready