Can Butch Jones Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 8, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounds like you need to be educated.

2. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

No person or thing can save Jones. He simply does not belong at this level.

3. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

The offense had one weapon, and it was dobbs miraculous ability to turn what would be a sack into positive yardage. It was luck and desperation. There was no scheme, just trying not to die.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

The Titans mix it in with Mariota and Murray and it works well. The key is, they mix it in, it's not their bread and butter.

5. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm all for Blakcburn to be AD but there is way too much faith being put in him at this point, IMO.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's nowhere else to put it, is the problem. There's nothing else changing.

7. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

This is where I'm at, all my hopes rest on the AD hire. And I'm not liking the chances of a good selection.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Until DiPietro is gone, there will be neither foundational nor impactfully positive change, at least with the consistency required. By stupidly promoting him from within (remember to weight this carefully whenever ANYONE suggests that "we need a Tennessee guy" for ANYTHING), we handed the ****ing keys to the academic side.

9. TBSVOL

TBSVOL Member

academic side from Florida/Illinois to go along with this

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I've got no qualm with academics being emphasized more (and heavily). But much better schools than Tennessee have figured out that the two can be pursued in tandem.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

This is my stance as well

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There's no necessary conflict.

13. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

I think Stanford has figured this part out pretty well. If you move far enough up the ladder (DiPietro?), isn't the boss just managing widget manufacture?

14. Tenacious D

I've earned two degrees from the joint, each at exorbitant prices, and believe that the academic standing of the school should be first and foremost. But athletics is a damned close second, given its financial impact and importance to both alum and general fans, alike. I don't think that it's either acceptable or necessary to be successful at one, and at the direct expense of the other.

Tennessee should be in constant and vigorous pursuit of excellence in each. And as long as DiPietro has been at the helm, the academic side of the house seems both lacking either significant improvement or even hopeful signs of it, and the athletic side has been miserably failing, perhaps as bad as it's even been, and across the board.

How DiPietro continues to get a free pass in the failings is beyond me, as Cheek, Martin, Hart all happens on his watch.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dont forget about the rape scandals and lawsuits clumsily handled.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also oversaw the destruction of one of the most storied women's sports teams in the world. Not my thing, but it is a damn shame nonetheless and they are representing the state and school.

17. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

One of the very VERY few that were self supporting too. Not sure if that's still the case at UT.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I would doubt it. No way they are drawing what they did when Pat was coaching. But I haven't looked.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They weren't even drawing what everyone was led to believe then

20. Tenacious D

I'd have Hart fire Warlick as he was walking out the door.

What a miserable replacement she's been.