Can Butch Jones Be Saved?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 8, 2016.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

You're the most ornery Buddhist ever.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Am not!

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Having top notch facilities and hiring a coach like Butch Jones is the equivalent to living in a 45 year-old broken down Winnebago while driving a brand new Lamborghini.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Agree completely with this statement. I would remove "think" though. There's no "think" to it. Tennessee is NOT serious about winning. Period.

5. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

If Blackburn does that, then Tenny was right all along... He's NOT the guy for the AD job.

If Berch lasts beyond the middle of the 2017 season I will probably just quit watching all college football. Not just Tennessee, but ALL college football. It will just be too sad to know what we could be doing but aren't (and won't) because the administration at UT cares more about fleecing the fanbase than they do about giving us our money's worth... Seeing other schools that don't have 1/100th of Tennessee's history or tradition are doing all they can to hire the very best coaches available. Watch what South Florida does and who they hire to replace Taggart. USF ain't Jack squat compared to UT but I can almost guarantee you in five years theirs will be a superior program to ours because the people there want to get better than 7, 8 or 9 wins... Apparently a large portion of ijr fanbase is thrilled to death to be an also ran in the SEC east, much less the league as a whole. Getting beat by Vandy doesn't seem to faze them at all and that disgusts me even more the losing to those dicklicks in the first place....

6. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Yeah. you are right.
    The fact that this guy was still our coach 24 hours after the Vandy loss is all you need to know about Tennessee's commitment to winning.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Random thought....

If Kiffin snags Houston gig....that puts BOTH Ed O at LSU and Nick Saban shopping for an OC. You'd have to think they'd each be mighty interested in Helfrich.

Where would the Tennessee OC gig rank, amongst those three?

And that's even IF DeBord "retires".

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Tennessee would be fourth on that list, right behind unemployed.

9. NorrisAlan

Fifth actually, right behind "unemployed" and "prison".

10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Sark would most certainly get either the Bama or LSU job... Beside that, wasn't everyone poo poo'ing the notion of Helfrich here as just S bad as DeBord?

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The guy can't coach. Nothing is changing that. He doesn't recruit well IMO. No coach with options is coming to help him. It isn't turning around. He might win a few, but it will be in spite of himself. His calling card is this horrendous offense. Think about that.

12. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

If DeBord retires, Butch will end up with Azzani or the return of Trooper Taylor.

13. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Chest bumps a coming.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

15. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

It'll be Azzanni

16. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

All this discussion about him staying leads me to believe I'll be getting coal in my stocking this year.

It's just damn depressing.... I also can predict with a high degree of accuracy the majority of the thread titles that will be started in the football forum next season.

17. NorrisAlan

yeah, that WL save his job alright...

18. g8terh8ter_eric

g8terh8ter_eric Contributor

Blackburn is the only person who can save Jones, outside of Jones himself.

I'm not overly hating on Debord, as if the defense gets fixed, scoring 36 points a game will win you most of your games. Where we will see the biggest change this year is what kind of offense we are if QD is the starter. I don't think we would hit that scoring mark with him, and I think we don't win but 7-8 games if we drop off to say 30 points a game. I think JG gives us the best opportunity to continue the success of what Dobbs gave us over his career, especially if we get a QB coach and JG is even a 25% better passer than Dobbs.

19. NorrisAlan

Our offense is good against lesser talented squads. Any team serious about defense can shut it down damn quick.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I still don't know what we hang our hat on for offense. IZ, I guess with a half-ass read option.

I don't hate zone at all, and the best rushing attack of all time lived in it with the old Nebraska teams. It's just that we don't do anything once the linebackers start flowing hard, unless we let Dobbs keep it.