Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

A team sponsorship in our league is $225/season. The teams for the spring season are named for the sponsor, so a kid would play for Hatvol Law Firm, and the sponsor would pick team logo and colors. In the fall we have had MLB teams (sometimes with MLB replica tee-shirts and sometimes with generic knock-offs; I have no idea of the licensing issues that might be addressed or ignored,) with the sponsor name on the back where a pro's name would be. We have 57 teams in all age groups and 13 in my current age bracket, so I don't know if finding one sponsor to cover everybody is realistic or would really help.

The league also sells outfield signs for $125/year (both seasons,) dugout signs for $1,000/year, and if any of you would like your name on a scoreboard, it is $10,000/lifetime (of the scoreboard, I think, but it might depend on when you plan to die.)

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Good catch that's what I meant with local businesses buying uniforms. One team would be sponsored by JR's Tires and another team by such and such business.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Growing up we would be the "Insert Company Name" Cardinals or Pirates or Mets.

Sponsors got a trophy too if you won the league. And some of them were pretty serious. One store actually had a trophy display where they put them all.

4. CardinalVol

On the flip side of things, I could honest to goodness see the core of this team I had this year eventually sticking together and becoming a local torunament team. It was just a good experience for everybody. Coaches, parents, players. We all got along great. Already had four parents ask how to be on my team next year. That felt good.

5. CardinalVol

Party was a success. Kids faces lit up when they saw the trophies.

6. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Glad to hear it. Always a cool thing!

7. CardinalVol

Helping with the coach pitch district this week. Just saw a suicide squeeze to win the game. 2 out, 2 strike.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Damn! Last thing the infield would be thinking at that point, and to pull it off without fouling out is incredible.

9. CardinalVol

Executed it perfectly.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Wow, that's crazy.

11. CardinalVol

The pitcher and catcher had no idea what to do. And of course it didn't help with parents yelling 25 different things. It was very well done. I was impressed.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I would be too. Certainly wouldn't be expecting it.

I was telling my wife the other day, with all of this flag stuff going on it reminded me of my old baseball patch. Did any of you guys play in Dixie Youth? I can only imagine the outcry today...

[​IMG]

13. CardinalVol

It's still out there. We played LL though 12 and then Babe Ruth 13-15 though.

I've been wondering if/when it would come under attack.

14. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I don't know if they're still using those patches or not but if they are you know they will. Wouldn't be surprised if someone took offense to "Dixie" being in the name since it condones slavery, racism, bigotry, hate, etc.

[​IMG]

15. CardinalVol

Straight off their website -

[​IMG]

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Hardly anything resembling the Confederate Flag. Even has a US flag right on it. Unless anything that is red. white and blue with stars can be equated with the Confederate Flag.

17. CardinalVol

To you and me. But to others looking for something to be offended about? Dixie plus that could be something to complain about.

18. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Looks like something the klan would have had their kids wearing.

19. CardinalVol

The two maryville teams played tonight. Winner advances, loser eliminated.

Goes extra innings, black team scores 4 in top half. Red has bases loaded, down by 3 in bottom, 2 out. Kid hits a dribbler to the pitcher. Pitcher throws it away, bases clear, kid winds up at 3. Next kid drives him home. Red team wins.

Felt awful for that pitcher. He had played great all night.

20. CardinalVol

McMinn Co. has the best 8 year old I've ever seen at their SS. The kid is as natural of a talent as you could ask for. He made plays at SS that you'd be impressed if a 13 or 14 year old made, but less a 8 year old.