Coaching and Youth Sports

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Summer league baseball and softball is a racket.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Sometimes uniforms aren't even included. And if it's a traveling team, you have to pay for hotels and sometimes plane tickets.

3. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Don't know about hockey but tee ball this past spring was around $150.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I can see 150. Although it sounds a little high.

But I was floored by the 1000. No wonder America sucks at hockey.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just league fees, or is that uniform and everything?

6. CardinalVol

We have our end of the year party tomorow. Burgers, hot dogs, swimming. Should be a blast.

I got the kids trophies. I'm not a big fan of everyone gets one, but I am a fan of young kids them getting them when they have busted their butts and are dang good, even if there is no official champion. If nothing else, maybe it will help them learn to work hard.

7. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Everything

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Obviously glove, bat, bag, etc are not included in that.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It seems high, but the equipment to make an ice rink is expensive and the maintenance and up keep on it is sky high.

10. CardinalVol

Wow, that's about 40-50 higher than us.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I think ours is $65 plus candy sale or $95 without. That's for league fees and a uniform that consists of hat and jersey. It is highly subsidized by private sponsors, and the county owns and underwrites most of the expenses of the grounds. Most of the maintenance is done by the jail through a work release program.

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Our league provides trophies for every kid in this age group, too.

13. CardinalVol

I am on the board, and we are in a mess. We installed new lighting a few years ago, and that stuff ain't cheap. And no one looked to see the beautiful MLB grant that will help to offset the cost of new lighting. I'm trying to find some grants, but that ain't easy.

Out league fees for our age were $85, that also got you a hat and jersey. We also have a discount card sale and every kid expected to sell 4 of them, or $40. We're going to start doing a pancake breakfast in the fall as well. Tack on the ticket costs with registration, and if you sell the tickets, you can recoup cost.

We have zero help from county or cities. And I'm also not sure we are doing the business sponsorship the right way either. But, I've already stepped on enough toes in year 1 on board, so I'm not going to push those any farther at the time being.

14. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Can you all not sell signs to put around the field

15. CardinalVol

We do, but it's not a drop in the bucket for what we need.

We are not in the red annually profit wise, it would just be nice to get everything paid off and be able to imrove some items, but the lights had to be replaced.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

TVA and MLB should have had some grants. I'd think with all the business their it'd be pretty easy.

Have tried getting one business to buy all the uniforms and you put their logo and number on the back

17. CardinalVol

MLB has grants if you get them BEFORE the lights are installed, not after. I've already looked into that.

Have not thought about TVA. That is worth looking into.

That last suggestion is on my list of things to look into.

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Ours is a private, non-profit, volunteer park for the community. Maybe that's why??

19. CardinalVol

Ours is too. Sounds like we are too cheap!

20. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I really don't know. The park is really nice and kept up with very well. I'm sure a good part of the cost is for the umpires.