Cops Are So Cool and Tough: Sandra Bland Version

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Jul 27, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never said otherwise.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I'm not saying they're all saints either. We getting closer to hugging it out.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If I lived in Ohio I'd vote for him for Governor based on that speech alone.

5. kidbourbon

Google's headquarters doesn't even have sufficient computer memory to store a compilation of all the times officers trample all over the rights of law abiding citizens on a daily basis.

6. kidbourbon

Depends on my objective. If my goal is to break zero laws and still get placed into custody, then I definitely feel like it's more likely than an officer can help me out.

7. kidbourbon

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

In the real world, for the most part yes. Most police are too busy to risk getting embarrassed by some smart ass law student.

9. kidbourbon

The problem comes when it's a traffic stop. The law is just SO bad on traffic stops. A cop can just sort of escalate and find legal justifications later. When communicating with them, I essentially restate the legal standard to them every step of the way.

Officer: do you know why I pulled you over
    KB: No sir, I'm not aware of any aspect of my driving or vehicle that would have given you reasonable suspicion that I was in violation of a law.
    ... rinse, lather, repeat.

I find that it keeps them in check.

Officer: do you mind if I take a look around your vehicle.
    KB: With due respect sir, yes I do mind.

Make them articulate their probable cause.
    Ask them if you're free to go.
    Ask them why the stop is being extended.
    Ask them if you're being detained.
    Ask them if you're under arrest.

Make them answer those questions. Keep them within their boundaries.

Officer: did you have unprotected sex with my wife
    KB: no, sir, with your daughter

Okay, I made that last part up.

10. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

And when he says bend over, spread your cheeks, and to get ready for an unwarranted full body cavity search, are you going to ask for lube or let him go in dry? Because asking for lube might get you shot.

'Tis a slippery slope your acquiescence leads you down, my friend.

11. kidbourbon

At least make them document that you in fact rolled through the sign. Most cops in VA have dash cameras now. And several DUIs recently got thrown out in Fairfax because the shady ass officers turned off the dash cams during the stop.

Shady fockers.

12. kidbourbon

13. kidbourbon

Yup, starts out with cigarettes, next thing ya know it's ass sex and you're the recipient. I've seen it a hundred times.

14. kidbourbon

I very much enjoy the youtube vids where they do get owned by citizens who know their rights and politely assert them.

15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I never pegged you to be into peggers.

16. kidbourbon

I actually don't even know what that means.

17. kidbourbon

Super cool. Super tough.

[video=youtube;xSKV99Ykb4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSKV99Ykb4A[/video]

18. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

tennessee code annotated 39-16-602. Resisting stop, frisk, halt, arrest or search -- Prevention or obstruction of service of legal writ or process.

(a) It is an offense for a person to intentionally prevent or obstruct anyone known to the person to be a law enforcement officer, or anyone acting in a law enforcement officer's presence and at the officer's direction, from effecting a stop, frisk, halt, arrest or search of any person, including the defendant, by using force against the law enforcement officer or another.

(b) Except as provided in § 39-11-611, it is no defense to prosecution under this section that the stop, frisk, halt, arrest or search was unlawful.

tca 55-8-104. Obedience to police officers.

(a) No person shall willfully fail or refuse to comply with any lawful order or direction of any police officer invested by law with authority to direct, control or regulate traffic.

is the order to step out of the vehicle a lawful order?

if not, then 55-8-104 does not apply.

but if you look at 39-16-602 . . .

he could arrest her for 39-16-602. if he would have charged her with that, how would it change our analysis?

p.s. why is the area outside her vehicle any more his office than it is yours, mine or donald trump's?

p.p.s. i find the idea of practicality in the force of a violation of civil liberties to be repugnant, at best.

19. kidbourbon

Charged her with obstruction of justice for smoking a cigarette?

20. kidbourbon

Obstruction of justice charges are more often than not nolle pros'd. At least in my experience. They're generally ripe with constitutional and/or void for vagueness problems. Prosecutors know this and would rather just nolle pros it than push it and get the law officially taken out of play.