Corporate Religion

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by JayVols, Mar 26, 2014.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

skirt business laws? We're not talking actual commerce here. This is a clever way to address that people don't want to provide HC benefits outside of what they choose to provide. Any company in the US should absolutely be able to ignore benefits for employees if it so chooses.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's the whole other issue to this argument.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

There's a Methodist gathering there as well.

I don't think there was horror. That was the heathen, IP.

4. JayVols

It is, but that's not the current law of the land.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the problem is the assumption that there is something wrong with being profit motivated.

6. JayVols

Not speaking for IP, but I think the thing he was bemoaning was profit for any sake (minus ethics).

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Profit for any sake is bad business

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

anyway who's more likely to risk jail. the guy making a high six figures with the nice house and nice car and comfortable life or for example the dude making $10k living in the projects? what's an extra $200K in stock options or whatever for the first guy? is it risk losing the nice salary and the nice life?

9. CardinalVol

I'd argue it depends on the person.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sure, there are slime across the board. but the less you have to lose, the more likely you will be to risk losing it.

11. JayVols

Agreed.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

so? The current law of the land doesn't apply to Oblowhole as he's eviscerating the laws and those who write them. Why do you care now whether we selectively enforce stupid crap?

This is about enforcing an employer mandate that the head douchebag intentionally and brazenly ignored. This article is just another of his lapdogs poorly veiling support for his shoddy law.

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

it's also a lie. Any corporation large enough to matter answers to myriad stakeholders and eschewing any has a cost.

14. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

One thing I found interesting was the 8th circuit's argument that the government did not have a compelling interest in requiring all health care plans to carry all the birth control coverage because, at least in part, of all the exemptions the gov"t had handed out.

15. JayVols

I don't know. Maybe if we chose what laws we thought were worth enforcing and those that weren't, it'd be chaos?

16. CardinalVol

Or how Obamacare is being implemented as is?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

No no. It's the right thing to do for people and the country, but not till after their midterms.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I missed your complaint when he selectively stepped back all the dates and backed off the mandates. It has been effectively line item veto of his own idiotic bill and nobody cared - until some private company voiced a complaint with mandated coverage.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

We selectively enforce hordes of laws. The enforcement against illegals is gone purely over voter base. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

20. CardinalVol

Reid's little quote today was my favorite yet.

So we're banking on younger people to make this work, yet the reason it's not working is because users don't know how to use the internet. Loved it.