COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Younger and healthier are supposed to have more reactions to the vaccine than older individuals due to the immune response.

Those younger and healthier people also respond better to actually having the virus as a population.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

But that isn't what has happened. The predominate side effect is injection site pain. The smallest fraction of people are having additional side effects.

If 99% of people only report injection site pain, you're saying all 99% of people would struggle worse with the virus.

That's asinine. The inverse doesn't work.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm not talking about the mild reactions like injection site pain.

I'm talking about the around 80% of healthy and younger that are getting moderate and severe reactions that interfere with their normal activities. Which normally comes from their second dose, unless they've had the virus.

4. fl0at_

Right, you are cherry picking your reactions, to drill down to what you are trying to get at.

Make the argument without cherry picking, it's a lot easier to see trends: most people who get the vaccine do not struggle with major symptoms, just like those who get the virus. A few do struggle with the vaccine. Just like the virus.

But let's back up, where are seeing that 80% of young and healthy people are struggling with the second dose?

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know an EMT/firefighter that had it in June, then had to get the vaccine a few weeks ago for work. He said the first shot made him feel exactly how he felt in June for two days.

6. fl0at_

Yup. Which makes me think of you got hit hard by the vaccine, you'd have gotten hit hard by the virus.

Since ultimately this is the immune system driving everything, and the goal of the vaccine is to initiate an immune response. A controlled one, but one none the less.

7. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Medical folks who I work directly with have been quoting the inverse relationship, but you can take that and $8 and buy some burnt coffee at Starbucks. Personally, I think it's a crap shoot. The inverse relationship makes no logical sense to me.

My condition is going in waves at this point. I'm freezing with chills and pain right now, but earlier I was feeling a bit better. The current dip really, really sucks. I teleworked today and got one out of four things accomplished that I set out to do. If I had it to do over, I'd have taken the day off.

8. fl0at_

You need to rest dude.

warhammer likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Didn't realize Germany had so many wusses. Tape it up and get back out there.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  10. fl0at_

It's clearly a measure of his strength. He got a shot made Friday after lunch that would have killed a lesser man.

2Maggitt2Quit likes this.
  11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So is the sudden supply chain good news a result of being further along, new administration, both, or something else?

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

at a minimum, us knowing the situation is due to a harder look at how things can play out from the top, rather than a passive top allowing states and industry to work it out and just seeing what happens.

this doesn't happen if trump doesn't push for multiple vaccines, and all of this is unprecedented in human history. Biden didn't invent anything since January, but he has greased the wheels and provided some structure. Had trump been reelected we would not be as organized, the picture not so clear, and probably it would take most of the year to get everyone vaccines.

Don't crown Biden, but this is what carrying the ball looks like. imo. but it is fair to say that trump left something to work with.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I'm boiling down a super complicated issue to a way too simple question.

If 10-15% of population is vaccinated, most of those being the vulnerable population, is the COVID impact greater or somewhere comparable to the average flu we typically deal with?

Starting to see states (TX and MS) open up fully. My gut feeling is that it's still too early, but I think it's worth asking the question.

I assumed once weather warmed up and numbers continued to stay low, this would happen anyway.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Flu took a year off, it appears. I know there have still been cases but read an article that mentioned flu and other viruses being much less of a factor this year.

15. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Wildest part of that story to me was the expectation that flu vaccine will be iffy next year because they don't have much to base it on.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Don't make me come out from under these three blankets and two dogs to kick the schnitzel out of you.

Ssmiff likes this.
  17. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Despite saying end of a July a few weeks ago - Biden is now saying we’ll have the supply to vaccinate everyone that wants one by end of May. It’s just a matter of getting the jabs lined up then, I guess. Maybe I have a shot of getting a vaccine in June.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Too early. The death rate per case may decrease, but the death rate as a whole can maintain or rise if the case rate increases. And it will, with the new variants now becoming prominent, states reopening, and still most people not vaccinated. Texas is a prime example, cases are going up again even as they reopen.

EDIT: Well, let me elaborate. It is too early for people to be letting their guard down. If we all followed recommendations, we wouldn't need to have things closed as we just wouldn't congregate period. e.g., no one would be dining in still unless they were outside. If everyone wore masks while in public and washed their hands before removing their masks, this thing would be over. Mathematically. But that isn't the case. We all have oopsies, and some refuse to even participate.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Obese people get vaccine priority in TN and smokers get priority in NC.

warhammer likes this.
  20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator