DIY Construction Advice Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Oct 26, 2011.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ridgid has the best warranty

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I like a good warranty. I'm getting ready to start some wood working projects. Any volt you recommend? I've got a Ryobi 14 volt I think. Just not enough juice.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Retired also counts.

I'm just relating the policy, though. Until May 1st of this year, Lowes had a similar policy as Home Depot: active, reserves, retired, disability.

That doesn't mean the hourly employee can't be tricked into giving it out. And disability doesn't mean handicapped. Hearing loss until 2006 was enough to get service connected disability.

Here is the Lowe's press release:
    https://newsroom.lowes.com/news-releases/lowes-expands-support-military-enhanced-discount/

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The 18 volt stuff does everything we need it to do

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'd say that would be good enough for my small jobs as well.

6. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

I've got a bunch of the Milwaukee M18 stuff and love it. By far the top of the mountain followed by Rigid Makita Dewalt and Ryobi in that order.

That said, a drill is a drill for the most part. Balance and comfort come in to play if you're slinging it around all day, but at the same time a Kia gets you to work just as well as a Lexus does.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I've got a few heavy duty cordless Milwaukee impacts, they're nice. Almost all my corded tools are Milwaukee too

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I spent more time this past weekend outside doing yard work than I have in 5 years. Usually hire out a lot of stuff but went ahead and did it myself. Forgot how much I enjoyed doing a lot of it.

Mulching, however, always has and always will suck.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

We keep Makita around our shop. We love it.