Georgia Thoughts

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 18, 2023.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's got one game left

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

So if bowl doesn't count, I assume we see him against vandy

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Heupel needs to show he has a little cutthroat in him and make some significant changes this off-season. We are going to be better next year no matter what happens due to having a QB that can play. We’ll probably take another step forward in 2025. Whether either of those seasons results in winning something meaningful will depend on what happens with the staff this off-season.

No changes and there is a good chance Heupel is finished (even if he isn’t fired he could be heading downhill too fast to reverse) after 2026.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That’s the assumption.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Woah. Look what the cat drug in.

TDVol1989, SetVol13, gcbvol and 4 others like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Have to be honest that Heupels boobs are more bothersome now. They’ve gotten much bigger. He needs surgery or wear vests

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Welcome to the 8th. Post more often.

SetVol13, CardinalVol, VolDad and 2 others like this.
  8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I do believe we will see some staff changes at year end on the defensive side.

SetVol13 likes this.
  9. Ssmiff

40th offensively in 3rd down % and 70th on defense. Huge factors this year.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Those are better than I would’ve guessed tbh

A couple of baby seals on the schedule make it look better I guess

NorrisAlan likes this.
  11. Ssmiff

big games would be bottom 10 in D1 on D and not much better on O except Alabama

12. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Defense has been reasonably good in short yardage and absolute trash in medium. I don’t have access to whatever advanced stats site they used, but a Missouri site that previewed us last weekend had us 10th nationally in defending third and short and about 90th on third and medium, which sounds about right from what we’ve seen.

I think the offense is similar—we can’t convert on the ground, so we do about as well with four or five to go as with two

13. Ssmiff

Offense has been bad too. Last year 3rd and 3-6 we could run and pick it up or in position for 4th and short. Hooker could keep it. Dump to Warren or hit one of 3 nfl caliber Wrs or just scramble for a 1st.
    This year I felt like we were going to hand it off into a run blitz or throw a slant the defense is sitting on.
    Our amount of successful scramble plays on offense has to be one of the worst. Seeing games all day, qbs and Wrs make play after play on scramble drills and we get nothing.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not converting on third and short is not exactly a mystery. If you take a shotgun snap and the handoff is not less than a second, you get stuffed. If there is nothing keeping the defense honest, they're slamming the gaps before the RB even has it.

What can keep them honest? Executing short quick passes. Which was never really a part of Milton's game.

15. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

From what I’ve read, the “bowls don’t count towards the redshirt” rule was just a one-time thing last year. I’ve seen nothing that says the NCAA ever made that permanent.

if that’s the case, he can only play against Vandy OR in the bowl and keep his redshirt. Not both.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

If that is the case, I'd rather wait for the bowl.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not gathering up the torches and pitch forks. I just want to understand. Why has Dylan Sampson only had 5 touches since the UK game?

18. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Or the QB being a run threat, which we’ve tried a couple times but not consistently.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

See, even when we have done it and even when it has worked, it is executed way too slowly. It has to be quick. The read must be fluid with the motion. I am not saying that pretending to be a football guy with lots of first-hand experience. I have watched a [uck fay]ton of football and I know what the teams that don't get stuffed look like. It's buttery smooth, snap-exchange while reading-pull/don't pull, all in a second. We don't do that with Milton. We did have that much of the time with Hooker. When we didn't, Hooker and the run got stuffed. Decisiveness is key in those downs and plays. Same thing with short yardage passing. The read has to be immediate and if it isn't there, just move north/south. Don't go east and then west like something is going to look better. Get accelerate your mass in a forward manner and try to keep your legs.

Easier said than done, but having a guy take a snap on short yardage and just scan, scan, scan is dumb. 1 or 2 seconds, if nothing was there start scrambling but keep your eyes up. At some point, you must commit.

VOLinDAWGland and Tar Volon like this.
  20. IP

IP Super Moderator

And I guess what I am saying is Milton usually doesn't commit to anything or waits a second too long. And we all know that, so I am just venting.

Tar Volon likes this.