Happy Veterans Day

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Nov 10, 2011.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I wouldn't fret too much about ID. Anyone that would make an issue of it is a douche bag, and anyone who would impersonate a veteran for free food on their day should really GTFO of our country because they don't belong here.

2. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

hahaha, definitely had nothing to do with Toby Keith. Had I known about all the freebies, I'd have joined sooner. Kept today simple. Enjoyed a cheeseburger at Applebee's and 10 free hot wings at Hooters. Not too bad huh? I'll try to run some off in the morning before all the football games.

On a serious note, I got to meet some Special Forces soldiers that served in Vietnam. That was a truly special moment. They also introduced me to some of the Montagnards. These are the people from in and around the Highlands of Vietnam. Some 40,000 of them served strong and fought hard side by side with the US during the Vietnam War and sadly were left to fend for themselves after the US decided to pull out. Some of these soldiers spent over 20 years guerrilla fighting in the jungle living completely off the land just to survive. Many lost everything they had up to and including their lives. Fortunately, some have recently been able to escape and have found homes in and around NC. It was honor to meet both the Vietnam SF Soldiers and especially some of the Montagnards. Really puts into perspective how easy I have it to serve now.