How do we improve America?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by tvolsfan, Sep 5, 2012.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The only reason I am a member is the $2 million insurance policy and the providing legal council in the event of a lawsuit. No different than any professional insurance a nurse or doctor might purchase. They do next to jack shit other than that.

2. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Valid point in the first, but Tenny explained a solution 10x better than I could have.

The amount that would be levied in taxes for universal healthcare is far, far higher than I would pay in increased premiums.

3. JayVols

See my response to VolDad. You can't get those level of benefits at a better price. Plus, at some point, I hope they discover that hard thing in the middle of their backs is a f**king spine.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I get what you're saying about student loans, and don't disagree with it.

But, I think that the larger point is that you, admittedly, freely chose your college, agreed to its fees, and chose your major in a field that now, doesn't seem worth the investment (knowing little of your specifics, I'm obviously assuming a great deal).

That there is a crippling aspect to the repayment of loans often required in the attainment of higher education is as easily proven as a simple math problem (you make "X", shit to live costs "Y" = not near enough left over)....but it's one that is voluntarily chosen, and one which you must have agreed to all along the way.

I don't mean to cast aspersions at you, either personally or at all, but at the issue, itself. But just as you chose the college / field of study, so too did you agree to those repayment terms. The autonomy and responsibility seem inseparable to me.

5. JayVols

I like teaching, but it's a living. I wouldn't show up out of the goodness of my heart. I need a paycheck to support my family. Or, I could go for disability and let you foot the bill while I sit on my ass instead of me working. I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but the notion that teachers should work for peanuts simply because "it's for the kids" is bullshit. It's a profession just like whatever you do. The attitude towards teacher pay is bullshit as well. You don't have to be a businessman to be worthy of decent pay.

6. JayVols

I'm not so sure that's true, especially if the premium trend continues.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I do not understand people taking loans to get a degree in a field that does not pay enough to repay the loans.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Supply vs. Demand.

9. JayVols

Perhaps that says as much about the pay of these careers as it does your point.

10. JayVols

I do not worship at the all mighty profit altar. Some things are investments worthy of spending money on. The education of our future is one.

If the supply of pay for teachers is low, you can't demand the best teachers and/or the best education system. Quit [itch bay]ing about teachers. You are getting what you are paying for.

11. Tenacious D

Agreed.

But the point is that the student knows, or should know, the ROI that s/he can expect to receive for a career in that field of study.

Any plan that involves racking up $250k in loans to get a teaching certificate, with hopes that a $40K a year gig will allow for its repayment, is fundamentally flawed.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Not in the least. Teaching is one of the most respectable professions, yet one of the least respected at the same time. I believe they deserve way more than they make (the good ones, that is). That's where being held accountable comes in. I'm not exactly sure how to hold teachers accountable, but the fact that a 4th year teacher who works his/her ass off and loves to see his students learn makes less than a tenured, lazy, uninterested loaf purely because of how long they've been employed is unacceptable (I'm not saying all tenured teachers are loafs, but rather using this as an example for argument). There is no incentive to be a better teacher than the person in the class next to you other than self motivation and, honestly, the majority of people are not self motivated.

At the same time, if one is planning on being a teacher then they must be smart enough to realize that going to UGA, when they're from Tennessee, to get a teaching degree isn't worth the difference in tuition costs of staying in-state instead. It's those people I have no pity for.

If I originally came across as disrespectful, it wasn't my intention.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  13. JayVols

And that says as much about the cost of education as it does the irrationality of choosing to teach.

14. Tenacious D

Then it is for the kids, afterall?

Was a teacher's woefully low salary just sprung on teachers at the last moment? Or, did you know what you were getting into when you chose that field? But you still chose it....

You didn't have to, of course, as Hat serves as the best example, when he said that he'd be teaching high school civics and coaching bball were it no for the limited salary....so he chose law, instead.

Two paths, two people, equally informed, two different choices. It doesn't make one "right" and the other "wrong" or one "good" and one "bad", but at some point, you are each where you intended to be.

You know what's also critically important to the education of children, and too often overlooked? A clean facility, fed students and functioning heat and air. So, should janitors, lunch servers and maintenance persons be paid on par with teachers? If not, why?

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I see your point. (i.e, assuming I pay a higher salary gets me a higher quality person wanting in the teaching profession)

16. JayVols

No problem, man. I admit that I'm being prickish here. I'm fed up with being a punching bag for society especially when some of the most vocal have never stepped foot in a modern classroom. The lazy teacher is quickly becoming a thing of the past with the evaluations. Coincidentally, I signed off on my evals from last year just today. Teacher affect score- 5 out of 5 (test scores). I had a 4 in my observations because my way is working (can't get higher than a 5 on student performance) and I refuse to change what is obviously working to placate some empty suit invested in a bunch of bullshit theory to placate them. Student performance is what concerns me.

Folks have every right in the world to [itch bay] about education/teachers, but I have as much right to be fed the hell up with it and return fire- which that point was reached long ago and I will continue to vigorously call bullshit when warranted.

Thanks for clearing that up, bro. Educator's have itchy trigger fingers right now. Especially (yes, I'm bragging) ones like me that are exceeding performance expectations.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Do parents get to see the evaluations so they know if their child has a good teacher or a shitty teacher?

18. JayVols

TD- you hit many points on the head. I agree with most of what you said. A couple of points:
    1. When I entered the field, my pay was comparable with other professions with the same education level requirements. In the past 19 years, I have fallen woefully behind. Hell, I haven't had a local raise in 10 years.

2. Just because there's a known inequity, that doesn't make it ok or unworthy of calling attention to said inequity. You all know me well enough by now to know that I will voice my views on what I think is right whether I'm in the minority or the majority. I'm the honey badger in that sense- I don't give a shit. I can use a scalpel or a chainsaw to do that. I have admitted to being fed up with the deal. I prefer to use the more respectful approach. That's just who I am. I have tried the scalpel approach with anyone that would listen to little effect. Time to raise hell with the ole Stihl to see if that works.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  19. JayVols

Would better pay attract a better selection of teaching candidates or at least more intelligent applicants? I say yes. Hat has admitted that he would prefer to teach/coach. Agree with him or not, you have to admit that he's an extremely sharp intellect, but he didn't teach because the pay was a deal breaker.

Use the supply/demand model. Supply of pay is high, more great candidates will demand a job in education.

20. JayVols

Not sure. I would gladly supply mine if a parent asked. I am not ashamed in the least. I can tell you that underperforming teachers have an opportunity to improve or they will be let go- tenure or no tenure.