I am falling off the Charlie Strong wagon

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 24, 2012.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

And before Strong took over Louisville sucked.

The Sun Belt sucks, but I'm impressed with what Taggart is doing.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

The guy who got his ass handed to him in the C-USA title game last year sure didn't seem to have any problem competing in the SEC this season.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Charlie Strong is now an exact clone of Kevin Sumlin, who had 10 and 12 wins seasons at Houston. Interesting.

Wins over top 25 teams in first 3 years:

Sumlin - 3, one being a top 5 team

Strong - 1

I'm waiting on Strong to show me something. Going 7-6 at Louisville isn't impressive to me. He wins the conference title and wins 10+ this year, I'll be more behind a hire like that.

4. hatvol96

You rip the Big East, then act like winning games in its bastard cousin is a big deal. Perfectly consistent.

5. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Everyone has a bad game from time to time. Yet another example of Hamilton's stupidity.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's not to me, but you want to act like it is a big deal so I played along.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

And had a five-win season the one time he didn't get to play with his (inherited) QB.

8. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Only because the coaches that followed Petrino couldn't sustain his system. It was the same reason that Arkansas sucked ass this year.

9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Even with that one losing season, he still had 23 total wins in his first three seasons.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Strong won't be a person to take UT to the promised land, in my opinion.

10. chavisut

Why they sucked doesn't really matter.

11. chavisut

Which is exactly how many Strong has while stepping into a worse situation.

12. hatvol96

By couldn't "sustain his system" you obviously mean they didn't have the makeup to withhold players' true academic and criminal backgrounds from their superiors and bully and intimidate support staff who called them on it.

13. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

2003 - 9-4
    2004 - 11-1
    2005 - 9-3
    2006 - 12-1

Those were Louisville's records under Petrino. That was my point, Louisville hasn't exactly been Vanderbilt.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Has Strong lost Bridgewater for the majority of a season? Seems like he has had all of his stars for the past two seasons. I could be wrong, though, because I don't follow Louisville closely.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

John L. Smith also won at Louisville. Don't believe we want him.

16. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Well, he didn't have Bridgewater at all his first season, and Bridgewater didn't start as a true freshman until midway through the season. So he's had him for roughly a year and a half.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Bridgewater has accounted for 15 of Strong's wins. I'm counting UK because he was responsible for two of the three touchdowns scored.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  18. chavisut

Yet they still sucked when Strong got there.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

John L. Smith went 7-5, 7-5, 9-3 in his first 3 years at Louisville. Charlie Strong has gone 7-6, 7-6, 9-2 (with a couple to go).

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  20. chavisut

Is that supposed to be a negative that he is winning with his recruit under center?