I am falling off the Charlie Strong wagon

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Nov 24, 2012.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Some very bad losses this year

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Thinking this too.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'd rather have Mullen than Strong.

4. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I was never on it

5. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Good, more leg room for me.

6. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

What has he ever done? He loses a lot with the blackest team in the conference.

7. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

He has already accepted a job so he was slacking these past few weeks.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Has his team, who was a complete shitshow when he took over, in position to win their conference.

9. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The guy took a 1-6 football team, tied for the conference championship in his second year and was a 4 OT loss from the Orange Bowl in his third.

What do you think of...well...any other coach that has ever lost a game?

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He has lost to two pretty terrible teams the past two weeks. No way to spin it

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I think we've set ourselves up for Gruden or bust then hear names like Stoops so he would be a little disappointing. I do think he is better than a lot of the other names being mentioned and a huge upgrade over the guy they just fired. I like the idea of a guy that will improve the defense right away.

12. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

The ESPN guy that commented on UT's next coach said Strong made sense. Gruden was a risk. Didn't know if he could make the transition from the broadcast booth to coaching college football. Haney was the name of the ESPN guy. He works at ESPN, but I don't think he knows much about Jon Gruden.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wow, that is just ignorant.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

You talking about Haney or me?

15. Nucvol

Nucvol Member

I was going to ask the same thing.

16. cotton

I'm not spinning it. I just don't think he has gotten worse at coaching in the past 8 days.

17. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I would have Strong as a second-tier guy right behind Gruden and Stoops. I would prefer him over Golden, Mullen, B.Jones or Tubbs. Patterson is a wildcard to me because I don't know what to expect. He has the X's and O's down but I'm buying in to the idea that he may struggle outside of Texas at getting players here. If Patterson can recruit at all than he would be an excellent choice but that does scare me.

18. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I'm not a fan of Butch Jones either. If we're talking about hiring a coach that can beat the Saban's of college football then I'm just struggling to see how Strong is that kind of coach. That's all I am saying. He'd be better than any of the guys you listed not named Gruden/Stoops

19. cotton

I don't think anybody would list him above Gruden or Stoops.

I do think he is a member of a small group in the next tier, and the last two weeks don't really change that for me.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

True, no way in hell can we hire a guy that lost to Dooley. I wouldn't mind having Lane back but that would never go over with the hilljacks that pissed on his shirt when he left.