John Brice update on Butch/Michigan

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Oct 28, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

glad we can talk.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

They're about to fire their own AD. This is much ado about nothing. Michigan isn't going to go after Butch.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I find the current state of affairs in college football very interesting. Every school is now pumping money into their football program. There are ~120 or so Div FBS 1 schools out there. While 75% of them will never get a whiff of the playoff, they are all dumping money into their programs. And the 25% that can make the playoffs are all, ALL, looking for Nick Saban/Urban Myer.

The question is: how many of those guys are out there. How many sure thing, slam dunk, grand slam, 107-yard touch down guys are there? Two? Three?

Is this tenable? When will this huge machine implode under its own weight?

Back in the day, Michigan was happy to win the Big 10 or beat OSU and make a Rose Bowl now and then. Now, it is Natty or bust. Tennessee, win 10, beat Alabama and win an SEC championship from time to time and go to the Sugar Bowl. Happy!

I just don't know how this system can survive with this many teams cannibalizing each other for coaches. The NFL is built on drafting and a coach that can manage egos and only has 32 well funded teams on near equal footing. College football is all about recruiting (10000x harder than drafting, imho), x's and o's, developing raw 17 year old talent into serviceable talent, etc. And some colleges have orders of magnitude more money and instate talent than others.

Interesting times.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is true.

I remember the rah rah when he was hired and how he had all of this business experience and how this was automatically going to translate into Michigan dominance, blah blah blah. Oops?

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am becoming more and more convinced it is all a big crap shoot.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He also has had heart problems. A job with less stress is right up his alley

7. CardinalVol

Disagree.

It's a lot like any other organization. You've got to find the right people who can get the job done. There's a reason Bama is winning in football and Louisville typically fares better across the board than they should.

8. CardinalVol

Honest to goodness, if Hart had just been willing to work with boosters, he'd go down as a great hire here. He's been able to handle the behind the scenes changes that were needed, he just wouldn't put his ego to the side to work with boosters on a home run.

9. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

If you could guarantee me a coaching search every few years without a lapse in competitive football (obviously impossible) I would be ecstatic. Knoxville in general just turns into a circus and the entertainment is second to none.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think the continuity argument is way overrated.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I think it depends. I don't think it's a good argument when the Fulmerites used it. But when you've had 4 coaches in the last 6 seasons or whatever? I don't think another year's worth of inevitable roster attrition speeds anything along.

And again again again, it's the same buffoons doing the hiring.

12. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

I would argue that a top college football HC position is, at the very least, comparable to an NFL spot--especially one like Tampa, where it's arguably less stressful than Michigan would be.

EDIT: N/M if you were speaking of Cut.

13. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Harbaugh

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I agree. I've always been of the belief that you fire quickly until it's obvious you have someone good continuity be damned.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

is he reasonable? Surely they offered him the job before hoke last time.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Under contract with the 49ers through next season.

17. kidbourbon

How in the world are you gonna downplay Utah beating the two L.A. schools? You think Utah is a hotbed of talent? It's all white people, and BYU has a built-in advantage on the majority of them. Add in Utah State competition, and you're basically not getting shit out of your home state. Which means they have to pull Cali kids, and compete against UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal, and the two Arizona schools for those kids. It's not as bad a geographic disadvantage as Washington State has, but it's a disadvantage. Being competitive at Utah takes good coaching.

18. kidbourbon

And?

19. kidbourbon

I'm not sure of the timetable there, but that might have been when he was just going to San Francisco. It's hasn't been all rainbows and butterflies for him and the SF brass, as I understand it.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the two LA schools have a long history of losing to shitty teams. UCLA needed double overtime to beat Colorado last week. and I wouldn't downplay it if he had been winning the years before this year and if he hadn't played an extremely favorable schedule this year with mixed results. I'm not saying he's a shitty coach btw. That doesn't mean that Michigan will be interested.