John Brice update on Butch/Michigan

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorthGaVol, Oct 28, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems like an nfl guy to me. I could see pete carroll going back to college. you have to be part politician to like being a college coach.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

38th in total D.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems like more of an NFL guy to me. Super scientific, I know. Also seems that if he has problems interacting with the San Fran owners he'd really butt heads with university officials and boosters. And Michigan already has a history of pissing all over Rich Rod.

4. LunaFreak

LunaFreak loves Bowling

Eh?

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Football outsiders had them as 64th, and that's a better (more complete) metric, and it makes more sense given the reality of that team.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That, plus he can win 8 and be king of Lubbock. He's a good young coach, I like him but I don't think he's necessarily destined for greatness.

7. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

What's going to piss me off more than anything is Botch being able to parlay his record of sucking donkey dong the past two years into a tidy raise for himself just because someone happened to mention his name in connection to a job that isn't even open....yet.

8. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

I'll just leave this here...

"I may have been born in Michigan, but I am from Tennessee. When you're a Vol you're a Vol For Life" -Butch Jones

9. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

He gone.

10. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Bill Callahan qualifies in my opinion.

It might be sort of hard to qualify Dave Wannstedt's NFL head coaching experience as successful, but I guess an argument could be made.

What I think is also interesting is how many successful NFL coordinators fail when they take HC positions at college.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Bill Callahan does not qualify.

12. RevBubbaFlavel

This rumor regarding Butch has to have been put out there by his agent and "team" as a calculated move.
    I do not see the fanbase at Michigan "allowing" anything close to a Butch Jones hiring for their program. They think far too highly of themselves for that.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nor does Wannstedt. Saban would probably get another NFL job if he wanted it, I guess.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not sure Wannstedt knows anything about football beyond handing the ball to Ricky Williams.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Makes him more knowledgeable than Bajakian.

16. RevBubbaFlavel

I think any coach that goes to the Super Bowl has had success as an NFL coach.

Doesn't mean he is one of the best coaches in the NFL.

17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Saban would. Head coaches are recycled in the NFL regardless of results, and he has his college record.

18. cpninja

cpninja Member

if Butch makes a bowl game this season, I dont think it would be too hard of a sell. Snatching a "quality" coach from another historical power who appeared to be on the upswing would fit right into what I would expect Michigan to try to do, assuming Harbaugh is staying in the NFL and Miles isnt interested. They'll just sell his success at CMU and Cincinnati while downplaying last season as the mess he walked into and (if he makes a bowl) this season as "proof" he can turn a program around.

I'm not saying they'd hire him, but if they did, selling him to the fanbase wouldn't be terribly difficult as long as he makes a bowl game this year. Spinning a new hire who hasnt done a damn thing at your school isn't hard. Keeping the spin when he starts coaching games would be the harder part.

19. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

Dave Wannstedt is a football genius no matter how many games he loses.

20. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Tennessee...

Rewards a tenured HC for an 8-5 season that barely came close to setting expectations, and for appearing in the SECCG because the top two SEC East opponents lost out.

Now...potentially rewarding a HC for mediocre on-field results but 'cruitin his ass off...

I can totally see this happening.