Marriage Equality

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Jun 26, 2015.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I think non-government entities should have the right to choose who they want to marry, but not officials of the state in my opinion. However, I really just think states need to get out of marriage licenses and into civil union licenses altogether to avoid most of the religious BS.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Marriage or civil union, just semantics. I don't understand it.

My mom and dad got married at the courthouse, are they not allowed to say they are "married"?

3. TennTradition

They are married because they have a marriage license.

Maybe it's just me being appeasing, but if the religions want marriage let them have it. I'm ready to turn in my state of ohio marriage license for a certificate of union. The Catholic Church would still consider me married but it makes no difference to me if that has different interpretations by the church and the state.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

My stance is that the state has no legal grounds to deny marriage rights and all subsequent legal benefits to same sex couples. I'll also stand with the Christian baker and priest that deny service to those couples as I believe that is their legal right, even though I don't agree with it. I understand that the precedent has been set against the latter group in previous court cases but I support their right to not enter into a contract just as much as I support the right of same sex couples to enter into a contract.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's a very logical stance that I can agree with. But, many won't.

6. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

My position as well.

7. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I have a hard time finding the moral high ground that some religious figures stand on when it comes to being against gay marriage, when they're more than happy to officiate 2nd, 3rd, and 4th marriages to divorced peoples, which is against the teachings of the bible.

8. NorrisAlan

Shhhhhh.

9. CardinalVol

I actually had the conversion about that with someone. My comment was the church got in the sacredness of marriage debste way too late.

There are some valid reasons for divorce that I would say it's ok for s pastor to perform the ceremony, but in general, you ate right.

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Man, all these far right idiots on Twitter are going to be pissed when they get to Canada. Hell they can't go to Mexico either.

Might as well kill themselves.

11. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I'm disappointed in the court's redefinition of marriage but certainly not surprised. I, too, despise the chest-beating rhetoric from much of the right side. I'll continue to enjoy being around homosexual friends of mine, even as I hold that marriage is an institution created by a sovereign God.

12. TennTradition

Our friends just picked up their marriage license. I particularly liked the whiteout over husband and wife, hand-written over to read first and second party.

Should be a big celebration tomorrow.

13. NorrisAlan

I imagine it will. Tell them a lot of people are happy for them, I being one of them.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is NOT a redefinition of marriage. Christianity didn't invent marriage. Marriage existed before monotheism. I'm disappointed in the repeated attempts by some to rewrite history.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Balance is nice, and I suppose that is what those two provide.

16. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

If you think it is a divinely created institution, you should be mad as hell at government having the audacity to act as if they are the arbiter of what it is and is not.

17. CardinalVol

Interesting.

See a guy I know here that I always just assumed was gay with a lady and acting all affectionate.

Just ironic.

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

it's like 10,000 spoons when all you need is a knife

19. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You sure it's not like rain on your wedding day?

20. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Holla!