Obama Admin Lies About Paying Ransom to Iran

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Honestly, quit.

The problem isn't the partisan cries of "ransom!" - BUT THAT WE ACTUALLY PAID A RANSOM, AND NOW HAVE A HISTORY OF DOING SO.

So, you are saying that it was a ransom? Or not?

As to your last line:
    [​IMG]

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

They did not pay a ransom. They announced the settling of that matter back when the Americans were freed. He openly said it was done at the same time because the dialogue was there and it needed to be settled when this first suddenly became a thing months later even though it was announced at the time. And now the State Dept says the timing was deliberate-- no shit.

The money was what was owed for a deal that never occurred, very favorably adjusted for inflation. It isn't a ransom if it was already owed.

I'm saying falsely labeling it a ransom creates-- CREATES-- the very "concern" some people allegedly have about paying a ransom.

In other words, it wasn't a ransom but it might as well have been one now thanks to partisan foolishness.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Holy silliness. We aren't paying anyone that took hostages. I suspect we told them

Ignoring hat this was a ransom and babbling about endangerment is idiotic.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'd the release of prisoners was contingent on the payment, it was ransom, no matter what the history was behind it.

5. Tenacious D

If not a classic quid pro quo ransom, please explain why the plane full of Swiss and Euro cash wasn't allowed to take off for Tehran until the hostages were confirmed to be on an outbound plane.

Of course, you must know (don't know if you can admit it) that there have been absolutely no substantive or recent changes in the case of the money for arms deal, and which essentially remains in the same stage as it's been since 1979. So, with that, I'll ask again - why now, if not directly linked to the release of hostages? Why not a month ago? Why not next month? Why not in 1994? Why not 2054? Or, how about "never"?

If the payment isn't directly linked and clearly predicated on the confirmed release of to the hostages, why would it matter when either took off? Your argument boils down to believing that no such link existed, and that the timing was purely coincidental?

Is that your position - pure coincidence? I think you're merely assuming the atypical liberal stance here, IP, meaning, whenever faced with easily provable but inconvenient facts, you first try to muddy the issue by pure obfuscation (as if intentionally confusing the facts somehow removes or alters them in any way), and where even that Houdini-like escapism fails, and the matter remains both clear and irrefutable, you simply become obstinate in refusing to acknowledge them, or to properly and fully weigh their meaning, purely out of simple silliness. And finally, you simply wait until everyone grows tired of hammering you, and instead just walks away, thereby allowing you to claim a draw (or even a win) and later assert that the issue was somehow less than settled, and remained open for further debate of two equally competing ideas.

That's not only grotesquely disparate to the unblinking eye of unbiased thought and strict adherence to path of pure reasoning which you oft-cite as slavishly following - and which you routinely (and sometimes quite rightfully) excoriate others for any perceptibly similar failing to do the same - but is just so much of the same dogmatic bullshit which you so vigorously detest and rush to reject when others holding an oppositional view to your own are perceived, or even strongly suspected, of doing the same.

Such simpleton semantics should be beneath you, and it is both genuinely and personally disappointing to me that it clearly is not.

You're on record as claiming it wasn't a ransom, I am on record saying it absolutely was a ransom, and everyone can read or ignore our reasoning, and draw their own conclusions.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Interesting. Settling pre-existing debts is now ransom.

The payment of debt wasn't going to happen if Iran was not going to follow through with the negotiated release. The payment wasn't for release. It was for the debt. It was two distinct issues, both of which were being resolved together-- as was stated months ago and no one gave a shit.

There is no point in responding to you, Tenny. You're now asking if I think it is coincidence. I never said it was. Neither did Obama. We didn't have official conversations with Iran until very recently. This was a clearing of business. No, it wasn't a coincidence. It wasn't a conspiracy or done in the shadows, either.

I'm fine with your appeals to "everyone." I will get a laugh the first time "everyone" runs afoul of your view and you no longer champion "everyone's" opinion.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pre-existing debts are collected via shady methods all the time.

8. Tenacious D

I've said all that I can say, IP. We can just agree to disagree. People can read it, and our respective positions / reasoning, and reach their own conclusions.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ransomed, I guess.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

The old debt commentary is recycled trash from chief clown supporters. We paid a ransom for them taking hostages. That is entirely against our policies. It's entirely against our approach to dealing with terrorists.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is entirely fantasy.

Here's what the State Dept said:

Obama said the same thing- the deals came together near simultaneously. He even explained why. In January, they announced both the 400 million payment and release simultaneously.

This wasn't a ransom. There is no cover-up. This is manufactured. If you don't like Obama or like the idea of diplomatic relations with Iran, cool. Understandable. Calling this ransom is a bridge too far and any look at PRIMARY sources on the issue reflect that.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Oh, well crap, this administration wouldn't lie about pandering to Iran.

Diplomatic relations while we're paying to get hostages back? You really are a self righteous moron.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never claimed there is no possible motive to lie, so I don't get what point you're making by stating the obvious. I'm showing that they have been absolutely transparent about what went down and when the entire time. I.e. the facts are not in dispute, thus there is not ransom. Unless you are claiming we didn't take Iran's money on a weapons deal we never delivered on.

How am I being self righteous? I will assume Tenny will magically miss the "moron" bit, since no one calls anyone names here according to him. So I'll just magically miss the personal shots too.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I mean, I'm not sure what else you'd call it if I kidnapped your mother and wouldn't release her until I got my money. If the release was contingent on the money, it was a ransom.

15. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

ran·som
    ˈransəm/Submit
    noun
    a sum of money or other payment demanded or paid for the release of a prisoner.
    synonyms: payoff, payment, sum, price
    "they demanded a huge ransom"
    verb
    obtain the release of (a prisoner) by making a payment demanded.
    "the lord was captured in war and had to be ransomed"

16. CardinalVol

Pure luck the two things happened almost simultaneously. What are the odds?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nobody said it was pure luck or coincidence. Nobody. We didn't have diplomatic relations with them for like 40 years.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Thank you. The money was for a deal that never happened and had to be returned. Not for prisoners.

19. CardinalVol

Would the money have been paid had there not been prisionera?

Further, did Iran state as a stipulation it had to be paid if the prisoners were to be returned?

If it was paid in negotiations to release the prisioners, it was ransom.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

To KPTs earlier point. Lets say that you owe me money but refuse to pay, promise to pay, are slow to pay, etc. I take your mother. I won't return her until you pay. You telling me that's not a Ransom?