Obama Admin Lies About Paying Ransom to Iran

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 3, 2016.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, in the same way someone wouldn't follow through with an agreement if a person had broken a previous one.

To the best of my knowledge, no. They were separate deals, but it was understood that deals struck would all need to be honored in order for other deals to be honored. You know, like we all do every day with others.

It was definitely not paid in negotiations to release prisoners. That has been made clear. They were separate items.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're inserting something that didn't happen, unless you are claiming the reason why the Americans were detained was because money was owed. Is that what you're claiming?

Let's say that you owe me money and haven't paid. Decades pass. I come across something of yours on my property. You see that I have something of yours, a rascal of a dog perhaps, that was on my property and come over to discuss it's rightful return. This is the first time we have spoken in decades. The fact that you owe me money comes up through the course of discussing our shared history, decades of silence and current predicament. We come to terms with returning your effects, and we come to terms with settling the debt. That isn't ransom. The money was owed, or if there was no intention of paying it then it was stolen.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're two separate deals. If one is not honored, neither would be the other. If I steal from a store, they don't let me do business with them. That isn't ransom.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

But you're saying that if they didn't have the hostages they wouldn't be getting the money.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

If all deals were contingent on other deals happening, they were rolled into one deal. We gave them the 400M on condition the captives would be released. I seriously seriously doubt 400M goes there otherwise.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, that's what the "ransom" position is stating. I'm saying had there not been an attempt at diplomatic relations, nothing would happen. Had we not spoken to them, nothing would happen. In other words, no hostage release. Does that make the Iran nuclear deal a ransom? No. What would you suppose the overlap is between the people who hated the Iran nuclear deal and the people who are adamant this was ransom?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

The case was a loser in the international courts. We'd be paying them more eventually had that continued down that route. You can't accept a bunch of money and then just keep it without delivering anything.

It wasn't "one deal." They were separate items and were treated as such all along, with the caveat that either deals (notice the plural) would be honored if struck, or there would be no deals (notice the plural).

9. CardinalVol

So if we had said we will not pay until international courts make us, would the prisioners been freed?

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

What would the international court do to us if we just told them to **** off? We didn't have to pay this if we didn't want too

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Probably tell some of our patent and copyright lawsuits, brought by our corporations, to **** off.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is no reason to think they wouldn't have been, which goes right back to the "it wasn't a ransom" thing. Iran had released Americans before this (2009-2011).

Why would we not pay a discounted amount, and wait for the courts to find for the full amount adjusted for inflation?

13. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

If it walks like a duck . . .

14. CardinalVol

When we started discussing allowing their nuclear program to be considered legit?

You are right, I am sure it was kindness of their hearts.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's limbless.

16. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

Don't miss the forest for the trees.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Willful ignorance / stupidity is how you become you.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're defined by your classy remarks and uncanny ability to support a variety of positions by referencing the opposition's intelligence. It's a sight to behold.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Kid yourself. I'll presume you're the rare one who defines me as incapable of supporting my position. I'll assure you I can. You can kid yourself into believing you're the only one with an argument here. It's what you do. Take your condescend it and cram it.
    You're not worth the effort. You're nearly the university driven idiotic lefty sales pitch. It's easier to call you an idiot. It all sounds the same to an ostrich.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

My condescension? MINE?