OL Coach Don Mahoney - Has to Go

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

He did. In OVs unique way.

2. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

He won't force him out. He has the best staff in America. Who in the hell will we git?

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

VNesque post

4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

About halfway through this season I finally became convinced he had to go, however my understanding of OL fundamentals and scheme is limited. I then saw OV post about an apparent lack of fundamentals and that solidified it for me.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I try, I try.

6. BigOrangeBeech

govols182 says Foolmer is coming back as OL/OC. We're gonna be saved!

7. Oldvol75

I sat on the couch amazed at my oldest last night talking about Mahoney. He started talking about how UT OLmen don't use their hands, lead with their heads, are off balance, and don't play with their feet. I was so proud, I never thought he listened to me.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I was pretty much back and forth for most of the season because as much as we don't like to admit it, a big part of the line's trouble is that they are athletically challenged. But, when they looked like they had never seen a defensive line do a twist stunt in game 11, it was pretty much the deciding factor. May not can block it, but you can at least be in position to try to. We weren't.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Depressing thread. I have zero hope for the next three years of Tennessee football: NONE. Legacy class will come to nothing.

10. BigOrangeBeech

Its not a good sight when our OL are chasing people .....backwards....towards the QB

11. Oldvol75

Total lack of feet and hands, caused by leading with your head to pass block. You just can't do that! Even in HS I taught pass blocking with no helmets on, in full pads. You won't lead with your head that way but one time. It has a way of teaching you to keep your head back.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

doolmeonce is a nice username, btw.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Whats funny is all of that fits together.

14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Reminds me a lot of the critique of Harry Heistand's brilliant OLs when he was here. And people defended that schmuck. Then we hired Pittman and it was completely turned around.

I believe it was Prattville that completely tore apart Heistand's OL.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'll await Facebook confirmation.

16. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

But the injuries, the youth, playing out of position...yada yada yada <------This is what we'll hear

By the way, Nebraska's OL coach john Garrison played at Nebraska so he'll probably try and stick with their new coach, otherwise they typically run the ball very well and would love to hire.

Of course Butch wants these zone blocking guys rather than drive your ass in the ground guys on the o-line, no wonder Drew Richmond doesn't want to come here. This is probably more of a Butch problem than an O-line coach problem and he just happens to have a "yes man" to run his system.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

There are some articles out there about how ZBS is the best OL scheme but it's difficult to implement, requires exactly the right players and is only really a good fit for the Pros because it doesn't handle high turnover well.

Makes sense we'd try to run it.

18. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Jones strikes me as a guy who is loyal to a fault.

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Lyle better watch his back.

20. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I think his problem is that he is loyal to his offense so he has a group of guys willing to implement it. Of course, those guys are perfectly happy collecting checks. I wonder how loyal he would be to the defensive staff since many of them such as Thigpen are new additions when he arrived here.