OL Coach Don Mahoney - Has to Go

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

That may very well be the worst cfb board on the Internet and that counts the KNS comments section.

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

A vast majority of people are casual fans in that they do not know the inside and out of how a program works. 16 years of Fulmer and the same staff == wins. Thus, you have to have the same staff year after year to win.

Faulty logic, but I honestly believe most people feel that way. Also, many many fans still view it as 1955 Ole State U and how it is a pure athletic endeavor, not soiled by professionalism and greed. Baby, it wasn't that way even in 1955. But people want it to be that way so it is.

In the NFL, no one would bat an eye if you dump a guy after two years and find out he isn't getting the job done. But in college, it has the perception of more than that. And I think our fanbase has a lot of the problems that the old Big 10 faithful had, meaning they were happy to just beat tOSU/Michigan/whatever-rival and make it to Pasadena. They didn't give a damn about national perception or anything. They were above that.

I personally think it is a big bowl of nostalgia and wishful thinking. If Butch wants to make it here, he has to hire employees and not friends. And if you cannot get rid of someone because they are your buddy, then you will soon find yourself holding a box of your office stuff in your hands with your buddy on they way to the unemployment office.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well, Tennessee hasn't beat Alabama in 8 years or Florida in 10 and the last new year's day bowl was in 2007. Even those fans should be getting fed up

4. NorrisAlan

Our fans also have the idea that a nice guy is good enough. If you root for Emory and Henry, ok, I can see that.

But this is the NFL-Lite division, and nice people finish last.

5. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I really don't like the idea of Hart telling Jones what changes to make. Let Jones run the program. If he runs it well, he stays at Tennessee for a long time. If he runs it poorly, he doesn't. I hope he makes a move on the OL coach, but I don't want to see the AD micromanaging.

6. NorrisAlan

This is where I am. If I was a head coach and the AD said "fire the waterboy" I would say "go back to your office and manage the money, I will manage the football program."

Can Hart demand a change? Sure, that is his prerogative, but I don't want my AD meddling with coaching decisions.

7. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Yea those OVC level defenses are outstanding.

8. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

You've got the wrong AD, TV.

Just because I don't believe he'll micro-manage in this instance, doesn't mean that he won't in a million others.

He had a chance to hire a guy to give the keys and let him go.

Didn't want him.

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Not like I'm the only one here who has the wrong AD

10. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Painful truth.