OL Coach Don Mahoney - Has to Go

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Dec 1, 2014.

1. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Started from the bottom now the whole team ****ing here

2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

It's almost like thinking that a center should be right handed even if he is left handed. But wait, no idiot would ever think that right?

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Winner.

4. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Yep

5. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You, "yada, yadded" the good part.

6. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

dave hart needs to intervene and force jones to make a change. i wish.

james cregg is available.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I love the idea, but Hart has neither the time nor inclination to worry about football staff changes.

That's another reason that his firing / retaining Mahoney will be so telling - if he makes a move, it will be because he chose, and was not forced, to do so. I'd much prefer to have a coach who make necessary changes where obviously required, than one who will allow it to languish to the point of being forced to do so.

So, we'll see if Mahoney finds "another opportunity to pursue", or decides to "spend more time with his family", after the bowl game. Ordinarily, I'd say Butch should wait until after NSD, but I'm not aware of Mahoney being a beast on the recruiting trail, and in fact, his incompetence is likely a liability in attracting OL recruits.

And to some general points raised earlier in this thread by others, I don't care how long he's known him, or how loyal he is - we pay him $4M+/yr to place his greatest loyalty to the program, and not to employ his incompetent bros. If he's afraid of not being able to spend time with him after firing him, rent a chalet and get matching airbrushed tees. If he's worried about where the guy might land, drive him over to Carson Newman, where he seems to better belong.

Anyone who doesn't think that Mahoney needs to go, is not paying attention.

8. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

That is what has me worried. Firing Mahoney is the right choice when it comes to professional development of his team... but it's the wrong choice when you're thinking emotionally.

[​IMG]

That isn't the face of someone that fires a long time friend.

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

And holy hell if Cregg is available we need to go get him. From the looks of it, USC's OL did a good job during Cregg's tenure. He only did OTs when he was here in 2009, Chaney did interior.

10. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

I could coach OL better than this clown and I've never done it before

11. Tenacious D

I coach a flag football team of kids under 8, and they know to get a hat on a hat, and at least slow people down.

Hell, if our online could do that, and just make the defender run over them, so as to slow them down it'd represent marked improvement.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Cregg is an extremely good ol coach but I'm not sure he wants to come back here or that he would be welcomed

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

True, you have to at least make the attempt. He'd be an instant upgrade and has experience running a ZBS scheme.

14. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Kind of funny we have threads like this here. VQ has threads with almost unanimous concurrence that Butch and staff need a raise ASAP.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm not big on Bajakian, but if the ol knew what they were doing, his offense would look a lot better.

I have no reason to expect Jancek to suddenly become anything more than a mediocre dc, so he can leave at anytime

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Polar opposites no doubt.

Im somewhere in between as a few here are. Raises and or extension talk at this point is silly to me. But Im not on the scrap the whole lot of em yet either.

17. Tenacious D

I can't even fathom that logic.

And that's the vast majority of our fan base. Good grief.

18. tripper

tripper Member

I believe we use a gap scheme on our power and counter plays not zone. We cannot get any movement out of pulling OLs.

19. tripper

tripper Member

They are getting an 8% bonus for going to Shreveport. Is that not enough?

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

you can learn some things down there that they don't teach in school