OWH Memorial Undead Topic

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by O+W=H., Sep 26, 2011.

1. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

On a side note newer bridges(this one was 47 years old) are built with concrete triangular structures around the supports to keep ships away from support columns.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Convinced 90% are bots, and the other 10% are people who make a living off the bots.

SetVol13, NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just watched a video, I didn’t really know what that was gonna look like, but what it looked like wasn’t what I expected

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Went down way too easy.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am shocked it went down coast to coast.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

Pretty much the whole thing, instantly

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

So ya, [uck fay] that design.

8. CardinalVol

How old is the bridge?

I ain't gonna lie, seems both bridges in Memphis and the one in Baton Rouge could go down just as easy.

9. CardinalVol

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

You forgot DEI

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, saw that too. Baseless, we don't know anything about the crew and even then it sure looks like some sort of mechanical/electrical failure.

12. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Looks like AI or a big game of pixie sticks or whatever it is when you move one piece and the whole thing falls. Crazy. I would think engineering would account for something like this.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The bridge was designed in the 50's, vessels of that size and height came about in, what, the 80's? Maybe even later. It's a mismatch. Looks like it was the actual bow hitting the pylon far above the water line. I don't think they designed for that situation in the 50's.

InVolNerable likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

wouldn’t there be someone or a group over something like this who meets and says “hey this bridge is old as [uck fay] and if a pylon gets hit the whole thing may go down”?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yes, and they say most of the nation's infrastructure is old as [uck fay] and in danger.

This Administration has passed a bill on this, but it will take a long time to catch up to a few decades worth of neglect.

17. CardinalVol

Ship did everything possible to avoid it. Dropped anchor. Accidents happen. Sometimes they are huge.

18. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

They actually called in a mayday and crews were working on the bridge. Bottom line is it could've been alot worse.

NorrisAlan, CardinalVol and IP like this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

20. CardinalVol

Sadly we're in a time where you can't completely rule out foul play until you've ruled out foul play, but the needle is tipping far into the accident side of the gauge.