The Stock Market Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by golfballs03, Oct 28, 2011.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah because generally speaking shareholders aren't going to get rid of the guy who brought you there. if you don't own 51% of the company you don't have controlling interest and cannot unilaterally decide to do things without shareholder and board approval. if you are the largest shareholder you have influence, but not total control. there are certainly plenty of examples of founders getting fired from their own companies in history.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If nobody is going to get rid of you, and nobody is going to stand in your way, you have effective control. You're talking about theoretical control.

Yes, there are "plenty of examples." And those are true exceptions. The vast, vast, vast,vast... vast majority are not ousted. There is no hostile take over.

When those ousters do occur, it is predominately because things got off the rails.

Even a CEO making generally poor decisions will be propped up by their board, because their board supports them, and the public doesn't vote. That is "cronyism" and exists at peak capitalism by nature of how capitalism works.

And we're still talking here about public companies. The vast majority are private, where there is even more control.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah who wants to upset something if it is going fine. that's human nature.

4. fl0at_

Someone who wants it to go better.

That's the whole point of "disruption."

5. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I need DOGE to go out the roof. I'm ready to retire.

If not, maybe the commemorative NASCAR plates will.

zehr27, justingroves and IP like this.
  6. fl0at_

I'm rooting for you. On both.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Float more knowledgeable than a guy that does this stuff for a living. I am shocked. Float 2024.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I got some baseball cards I will make you a sweet deal on to help you diversify some more.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. fl0at_

I'm not at all shocked that you are shocked, if you think droski does IPO for a living. He's a fund manager.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yep he is probably clueless about how IPO's work being a fund manager.

11. fl0at_

I'm also not at all shocked that you think droski at any point here had anything resembling an intelligence discussion. His points on controlling interest was basically like "the public owns shares."

Nobody, anywhere, wants "the public" to run a company. Nobody. Anywhere. And anyone who thinks they do is insane.

In other words, everything he said was just bullshit theory. Because in practice, it would mean... the public... runs companies. They don't. They never will. It's an illusion.

12. fl0at_

He is absolutely clueless if he thinks the controlling interests don't run the company, simply because 70% of shares are publicly owned. Just as you are, if you are agree with him.

Nobody wants companies to run democratically. There aren't many things at all that work by pure democracy. And installing and keeping CEOs is one thing that doesn't work by democracy.

13. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Let's retire together. We'll keep both TN and FL properties.

NYY likes this.
  14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I'll throw in my comic books too.

Past performance does not indicate future earnings.

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Welcome to the 8th, please post more often.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you are backtracking you told us that no founder would dare own less than 51 percent of his company

No one said it’s a democracy. In a democracy you get one vote

17. fl0at_

There is no backtracking. You can't read, and I can't explain things to people who can't read.

I said: "Being majority shareholder is less important than controlling majority shares." This means: I don't need to own 51% of a company if owning 14% and having the votes on my side of 2% and 10% represent a majority of votes.

I said this repeatedly. I said in different terms here: "If only 30 votes can be cast, out of a total of 100 votes, 16 votes is a majority. "

18. fl0at_

I also said "Nobody puts 51% of shares out in the wild, because that allows hostile takeover on IPO. Nobody is that dumb, despite you seemingly suggesting it to be so."

This means that nobody is dumb enough to put 51% of shares out in the wild that are capable of being purchases. Because, as I state later: In practice, that 51% is not purchasable for any existing amount of money, because it is astronomically high.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that doesn’t make any sense. People do leveraged buyouts and buy public companies all the time. In no way is 51 percent not perishable.

20. fl0at_

They don't happen all the time without the company wanting it to happen. If a company that didn't want to be bought, thought it would be bought, it would start buying back shares.