Update on a few recruits

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by lylsmorr, Aug 1, 2012.

1. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Seems any coach you talk to has something they've taken from him; he is a legend among coaches.

2. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

From Gary Parrish Show (ESPN 92.9) in Memphis...with guest John Martin (recruiting writer) of CA

- No longer fielding calls from coaches.

- Decision probably coming next week.

- Decision based on the whole school experience, not just basketball.... that seems like TN more than others

- Parrish - Tennessee can offer him different atmosphere that Memphis can not offer outside of basketball (used hanging out with Skylar and 7 sorority girsl as an example..haha)

- Memphis tried as hard as they have with anyone to land this kid, but this is not the typical Memphis kid nor typical top 20 recruit.

- Parrish - Hint given to him this week...told Memphis pitch was if you do not want to go to Memphis, go to Duke. Duke said if you don't come to Duke, stay at home.....Said that neither program wanted Martin pulling a kid of this caliber and that seem to alert Nichols family that both staffs must think UT is on the rise.

- Martin - tries to bash Martin's recruiting. Parrish counters with..if he grabs Nichols, he just landed Hubbs, Nichols, and Stokes in a 12 month span...can't discredit that....

Guess for JuJuan Johnson is Marquette...he announces tomorrow. Other choices are Bama and Miami

3. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Can't wait to see if this swings our way. What a class if this happens.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Thats a huge haul for Martin starting with Stokes and ending with Nichols.

5. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

John Martin and Jason Smith are two huge Memphis homers. If they mention UT is still in it, it's probably a done deal for CCM. The whole Duke and Memphis statement by Parrish speaks volumes about our future.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

Martin I agree with. He is trying too hard to make a instant name for himself rather than just put in the work and let it come to him.

Jason is a good dude. I have gotten to know him a bit over the years when he was working the prep beat. I think I would say he is typically just really passionate about the things he covers. He has been ridiculed in the past when he has reported negative things on the Tigers.

7. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

I haven't read the articles by Smith just listened to his interviews on 92.9 when he's on. He acts like Memphis will be a final four team this year the way they're practicing and scrimmaging so far. Seems way too optimistic on the outlook of a team that has never shown consistency under Pastner.

8. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

I agree about Smiths ranting about the tigers practice. They have changed the practices up significantly compared to the past but there is no reason to inflate the worth of the the team when they have underachieved wince Pastner took over. They have a real chance to be good but they need to prove it to me instead of tell me about it.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

With Pastner at the helm Memphis will never stiff a final four.

10. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

And in a 100 years, you have never sniffed a Final Four. Dont patronize Memphis for no reason dickhead.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As usual, you seem to be confused as to where you are. Nobody here gives a damn about Memphis making the Final Four powered by reprobates like Andre Turner and William Bedford. Nobody here gives a shit about Memphis making the Final Four with a bunch of guys who weren't academically worthy of admission to a decent junior college. Nobody here gives the first damn about the glorified trade school you root for. We generally just laugh at you being proud you were admitted to a conference that holds you in the same esteem as Central [dadgum] Florida.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

I would say losing an elite 8 game by one point equals sniffing the Final Four. Just a complete guess on my part.

13. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

bwahahahahaha

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

On another note, has anyone heard something new about Nichols?

16. alumvol08

alumvol08 Active Member

Memphis media seem to think Memphis is all but out.

17. reese_hallvol

reese_hallvol New Member

Haha, Hat's summation of Memphis is absolutely spot on. No one outside of Memphis, Tn gives a sh!t about their basketball program, and rightfully so. They had their runs with Cal, but do people there truly believe Josh f'n Pastner will ever be truly successful? Martin is about to flat take over the state of Tennessee in terms of basketball success. It's also going to be very comical to watch the complete meltdown from the dumbass UM fan base when Cuonzo continues to raid their city annually for recruits. Like it or not, Martin's background and upbringing will relate unbelievably well with many prospects in a city like Memphis where many kids come from tough neighborhoods, and have a difficult family life. Not many D-1 coaches around the country can relate to these kids in the way Martin can. I think Martin has a very unusual gift in being able to relate very well with kids and gain their trust coming from similar circumstances as many of them, while also possessing an old-school approach to coaching, and demanding the respect and 100% effort of kids every day. After he develops Stokes' game even more, and helps make him a lottery pick, it'll only get easier for him. I also can't wait to see how Mcrae is going to progress under him. Mcrae has all the tools to be a big-time player. Barring injury, I'd be willing to bet Martin has Mcrae playing at an all-SEC level at the end of this year as well.

18. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

Pretty sure Hubbs let it slip on Twitter, after playing against Nichols the other day, that he was looking forward to playing with Nichols. He then deleted the tweet and typed out a new one that added, (paraphrased) "I mean, if that's where he decides to go...."

He a Vawl.

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I am at a conference of about 1600 educators/admins. Just saw his HS coach. Maybe I will work into conversation.

20. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

Austin wants to party more than play basketball. He will fit right in up there on the strip.

And yes, he is going to UT