When did you know Dooley was not and could not be the guy?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 8, 2012.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

When did you know for a fact that [ddiapos] would never get it done at Tennessee? Most here --I think-- saw him as a bad/reach hire. But I think most of us had hopes that the guy would be able to figure out what it takes to win in the SEC and then implement that system. But when were those hopes dashed for you?

Obvious answer is UK, but for me it was in the early 3rd quarter against Arky last year. It was then that I knew that we were not progressing and that the team lacked fundamentals and motivation. Up until the Georgia game last year I was even passing around a little Dool-Aid. But I just expected to see our young team actually improve as the season went by last year, and it never happened. And in the 2nd half of that game something clicked and I knew it was never gonna happen. Then, the Vandy game confirmed it.

If you have not come to that conclusion yet, what will it take for you to give up on the guy?

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

UK was the last straw for me.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

As soon as he took the microphone at his introductory press conference.

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

UF last year was a big wake up call for me. The coaches seemed like they had no clue what to do when Hunter went down.

5. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

In the middle of that awful October last season in my heart I knew Dools was not it. That was so frickin' embarassing it hurt. I did not like the hire at all to start. For some reason they could not get a higher tier SEC quality coach. I wanted them to stay with Kippy as an interim and give it a year to get the right guy. Hamilton panicked. After UK I screamed as loud as anyone for his ass on a platter. Didn't happen. Then I saw the assistant coach replacements and gave Hart a lot of credit for stabilizing the situation and Dools individually. Some aspects improved with those changes. Others were wait and see. Then the Da'rick and Tyler incidents happened and especially with the non-handling of Tyler I got PO'd again. I still held out hope that the new coaches had straightened a lot of it out and thought the talent was on par with many better programs in the SEC. I got real uncomfortable with what I saw on D against GA State. Bad D schemes and worse secondary play with no pressure. Then they quit against UF. That was the final straw. He could go undefeated the rest of this season and next and I would not care one bit about what he did, said, thought, whatever. I will always support the players - they deserve better than this. But no more money to the UTAD until this changes with a top hire.

So mine was a roller coaster. If he had been fired mid-last season, after UK, after UF, after UGA, after Saturday - sometime soon - it will be one game too late for me.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

When he thought it was wise to put Justin Worley in on our own one yard line against Alabama, on the road, in a game out of reach.

Or the next week, when a freshman named Brandon Wilds ran for 130 yards in his first ever action of his career. Who? Yeah, what I thought.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

That is true; you called it from the beginning.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This cannot be overstated. Hamilton cared more about saving one recruiting class than doing due diligence on the search. Of course ,that recruiting class is the only thing that has kept Dooley from going down in history as the worst SEC coach of all time.

Who did USCe have before Holtz?

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Brad Scott

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Thanks. He's one of the worst that I know of. I think I'd rather have Dooley.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Uga 2011.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I hated the hire, but thought I would try and give him a chance

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Day 1.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

UGA was when I first thought, "Ok, what have I been smokin so far?"

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

On day 1 I was disgusted with the hire, but I think after LSU and then Ole Miss in the first year I started to believe maybe he could coach.

16. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Didn't like the hire from the beginning, but wanted to give him a fair shake.

Started to really have some doubts after the LSU debacle in 2010, but I don't think I turned 100% anti-Dools until later on in 2011.....probably after the 2nd half of the Georgia game. The Kentucky game later that year just further supported what I already had begun to think about our current head coach.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Having Worley throwing deep outs and fades all game against usce made me want to punch Chaney.

18. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I've said it before, but I viewed it as a failure the instant I heard his name. When they announce the new head coach and the first response you have is "who???" you know you're ****ed.

I'd rather [itch bay] about hiring a known loser than have to do a google search to discover we'd hired an unknown loser.

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

South Carolina 2011.

20. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

And what made it worse was the idiot posters that then said Worley was a bad QB. Excuse me. As a true freshman he just tried to do what his idiot OC told him to do against an NFL bound defense with only one WR to work with.