When did you know Dooley was not and could not be the guy?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Oct 8, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Was pretty sure about him from day one but promised to give him a fair shake to prove himself. UGA 2011 was when I'd had enough.

2. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

This but then he landed the WRs and I thought maybe. Arky was when it solidified he was awful and without hope.

3. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

I had to do the same thing. Who? WTF? Google search. Crap. That's the best they can do? Well, at least he says 'britches." Vince's boy. Should know something. What - never been a coordinator? Stuck with Saban for 7 years - that's good and bad. Whatever. Will see. Like everybody I had no frickin clue.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I hung on longer than most. I was skeptical at first but was won over mostly by Louisiana Tech fans pouring out excuses as to why he was actually great but his record in year three was an anomaly. I got a bit more skeptical after the 2011 UGA game but didn't totally give up. And I didn't totally give up even when that season got awful. Until Justin Wilcox and Peter Sirmon left, coupled with the list of players with academic work left to do (who would've been ineligible for a bowl). You can convince me you're building something even if you're not winning. For a short time at least. But when your assistants don't trust you, and your players are failing off the field as badly as on it, there's not much hope to hold on to. I'm not sure whether one of those things would've done it, but their combination sure did.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Worley can be a fine qb in a short sink and dunk rhythm offense.
    Chaney doesn't do that at all

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I hung on probably the longest here, this years Florida game done me in.

7. Chestbump

Chestbump New Member

I was following David Climer of the Tennessean on the night they hired Dooley. Climer insisted it was a good hire. I was unconvinced (I thought it is stupid to hire a guy from La Tech with a losing record) but was willing to take a wait and see approach. When Dooley started to talk about his team needing scars, that did it for me. What coach thinks his team needs to take losses? That, and the "growing bamboo" crap did it for me.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Climer said the Oilers wouldn't make $ in Nashville.

9. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Climer doesn't know jack. He is a writer for the Tennessean with about as many connections as OCI (Sab)

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

For me, it was lost when we burned Worley's redshirt, then the next week couldn't punch the ball in at the mother****ing one yard line. At that point, I knew that not only was he incompetent, but he was self serving. But the most pathetic thing of all was watching Tennessee have MTSU dominating our O-Line. I can stand for being less talented at times. I will never stand for a Tennessee team that isn't physical.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

One of my favorite Bob Huggins quotes: "If you've got guys who have to lose to learn a lesson, you've got some really dumb sons of [itch bay]es on your team."

12. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

The moment I googled his sorry assed resume just after he was announced.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Second half of the Florida game last year was the end for me. I was not thrilled by the hire, but I know things about chemistry, industrial safety, etc. I would be patient with the hire and give the powers that be the benefit of the doubt. The LSU game in '10 gave me a little reason for hope, but overall play wasn't encouraging. When the coaching staff still had that Dooley look in their eye at the start of the third quarter against UF '11, I knew they were never going to work out. The performance over the next several weeks just solidified it.

14. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I thought he may have a couple respectable seasons, but I have always been pretty certain he wouldn't work out. The fact is we called in a WAC loser to beat some of the best programs in the country. There's really no way that could have turned out well.

15. murrayCod

murrayCod Member

Vandy/UK of last year -- I tasted the familiar apathy that had settled in over the tail end of Fulmer's nonsense.

When I refuse/forget/whatever to watch the games and my reaction to the final score is something like "meh," I'm done.

He's a joke. And a bad one, at that.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, the Vandy/Kentucky weeks solidified it for me. I wanted to be wrong, but losing his staff gave further confirmation. And then there was the Clear cover-up. And then D. Rogers saga. And then Florida.

17. Volmaul

Volmaul New Member

I know I hoped he wouldn't be the guy when I had the "Who the hell is that?" moment during the coaching search. I gave him a shot anyway, and I was hopeful after the LSU incident and with Bray starting later on. I lost faith in him ever becoming the guy we need after watching him try to handle the injury situation last year. Also, watching the team consistently play one good half of football only to shit the field in the second half against any decent team gets very old. The UK loss was irredeemable. That sealed it for good. I'd rather see a guest coach picked randomly from the crowd for the rest of this season than watch Dooley lead the team with the best shower discipline in the SEC.

18. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

And then there is every time Dooley opens his mouth and makes sound.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

When I thought to myself, "Vince Dooley has a son?"

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

The lucky fan in YY4 row 23 seat 19... Come on down!