POLITICS Iran

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by kptvol, Jan 7, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

How can you, a functioning adult, be this dumb?

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's not demonizing to call a lie a lie. Your previous post just said it was obvious we made up a reason.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nothing I said was wrong. Does it really hurt your feelings when I call Iran a terrorist regime?
    --they had just lit up US targets
    --they had just threatened more worldwide death
    --they "accidentally" fired at what they thought was a missile, because they were idiots and ready to fire at anything, obviously, even when flight plans are detailed prior
    --they acting like it never happened for 4 days.
    Nothing there is incorrect.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  4. Ssmiff

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

6. Ssmiff

I'd say it's more stupid to lie about American deaths, and stupid for them to report it with zero proof. Article is the least of the dumb things involved.
    "I'm not sure America, but if you have a child in Iraq, 30 are dead."

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I have mixed feelings. If I am the child, spouse, relative or friend of someone deployed I am panicked by the reporting. Why cause the unnecessary angst of millions reporting Iranian propaganda?

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

True.

It is demonizing to either a) blame or b) refused not to blame someone for something like a plane getting shot out of the sky though.

9. TennTradition

In a live event you are reporting it with source and saying it in a way that casts some doubt on it, it’s not being an enemy of the state. That’s just bullshit. Reporting it as fact or from confidential sources when you know it’s state media would be bad journalism but this seems reasonable.

10. Ssmiff

Iran isn't our enemy? No idea what else you are talking about.
    Dont create me saying MSNBC is an enemy of the state when I didn't. Just called them more dumb than the summary article.

11. TennTradition

I think this fully depends on just how clearly it is known propaganda. If Iran says ‘we launched this attack’ is it propaganda to say ‘Iran claims responsibility for the attack.’ If Iran says we have killed US soldiers is it propaganda to say ‘The Iranian state media is reporting US deaths’? I don’t think so if it is an unfolding situation.

If you report that unsourced and don’t seek to confirm it from US sources, then you are promoting an agenda. But it’s live news. Let’s get real here.

I get that people might get scared by that but it’s a scary situation. This wasn’t an editorial situation - you’re literally talking live to a reporter on the ground and he’s telling you what he’s hearing from official sources (some of which will be true and some propaganda - and he even qualified wha he thought might be false with ‘I don’t know about this but Iran is saying’).

I would have to see the video to have a final opinion on this but this just seems like people looking for something to get riled up about.

12. TennTradition

No, the article was referring to people calling MSNBC as an enemy of the state for saying that.

13. Ssmiff

Oh I skimmed that part. I dont agree with that. Irresponsible, dumb and trying to break news is a bad combo, especially when nowadays, it doesnt seem to matter what is true or not and no repercussions for bullshit reporting

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

They’ll get hammered for actual American casualties, not for lying about it.

Lying gives you the bump you seek at home, but without the risk.

15. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I get that, but from a journalistic standpoint, Iran saying that they’ve killed Americans is certainly news, and which you must report.

That s/he added the very important caveat that they couldn’t independently confirm the veracity of Iran’s claims is responsible journalism.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who, other than Iran, lied about American deaths?

No one.

Some of y'all are so horny for a "gotcha," it's sad.

17. Ssmiff

Shitty reporting IP. You cant see it anymore, because that's all you know

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

The level of protests, and what they are saying, in Iran are worth watching. I've been saying it for years, that is a young population and they are sick of the bullshit.

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This may have darn well started a revolution there. They have had enough.

20. Ssmiff

They aren't ok blowing it off as an oops?