COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Iranian Religious leaders are apparently urging followers to kiss and lick holy shrines to prove they are not appraid of the virus...

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

If it wasn't potentially dangerous for those outside those doing this, I would just shrug and say natural selection. But, damn, those people are stupid.

Ssmiff and VolDad like this.
  3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

The NYT has a podcast called "The Daily." Last Thursday's episode was about Coronavirus, and while they didn't suggest that it's deadlier than the Spanish flu, they did talk about the Spanish flu a lot and make comparisons.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

an idiocracy

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think it is fair to make comparisons.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Why the Spanish flu as opposed to - SARS, Ebola Outbreak, N1H1?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

none of those have the geographic footprint of these two. but why not compare them all? Corona virus is going to kill more people than Ebola, but Ebola is still way scarier to be affected by.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Been a lot of hoopla about R0 (basically the average number of people each infected person will infect). Hard to calculate at this point, but there have been people saying it's as a high as 6.5, which would have it as one of the more contagious diseases around. Ebola and SARS are around 2. Spanish Flu was 3.

There have also been other people claiming it's a lot closer to 2 or 3 for COV19, though. Probably too early to really say. Also R0 in America might be a lower than China as we know it's coming, aren't as densely populated, and are just cleaner in general.

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

upload_2020-3-2_14-6-20.jpeg

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hmmm. I don't remember SARS being that high. Curious that it was much less widespread with much less strict isolation measures...

There were less than 10,000 SARS cases in 9 months. We're at 80,000+ in 2 months.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Looks like I've gotten my answer to what happens if this gets loose in a nursing home.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not shaking hands with people for the next couple of weeks and avoiding children and old people, and any unnecessary outings (restaurants, etc). I have no idea if I was exposed, but I feel like I need to assume it after that petri dish of a flight. my wife is teleworking.

TennTradition likes this.
  13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Pit on your mask. Now

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

No, you will DIE. Go watch the news Dude

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Don't you live in DC? You should be licking any and all doorknobs.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

this is america, not iran. we have regular free elections so that we don't have to lick public surfaces to get new leaders.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

You ever seen the video of the doorbell locker? Google it

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You're assuming he wasn't already.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

NYY and NorrisAlan like this.