COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Team USA is a juggernaut.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Really?

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Tomorrow I think.

IP likes this.
  5. TennTradition

Yes.

The millions of cases number is modeled based on lab data.

The actual number is of course higher. As it is for CV.

6. TennTradition

I’m so tired of humans. Seriously....

I need real human interaction soon. Not people’s internet personas of stupidity.

7. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Just remember; though they make the headlines, they are a very, very small percentage of us.

TennTradition likes this.
  8. TennTradition

Sounds like Italy is going to add over 6K new cases today. So looks like we won’t actually pass them until tomorrow.

IP likes this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

This would imply a mortality rate of close to 2%, which we know is way high. The actual rate is around .1%. Clearly testing is skewed towards sicker people.

I think covid-19 death rate ends up sub 0.5% based on the data out of Germany. Germany's median age of those tested is only 1 year higher than population median age ( 47 and 46) so much more reliable.

Median age of those tested in Italy is 65. Their population median age is also 46.

Our median age is 38, so we might actually fare better.

10. TennTradition

Oh yeah. Definitely can’t use deaths/cases and get a mortality rate unless it’s a very controlled study or modeled.

Im still rolling with the Princess Diamond demographic-adjusted mortality rate of 0.8% for CV since that was a control group that was thoroughly tested.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Yep, you are right. They haven't reported yet so they will maintain a lead.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

There's really not a lot of indoctrination, period. Secret or otherwise. At least not at state universities.

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'd like to know median age of those who had it on the cruise. A spring time cruise on Princess is probably skewed older-although there probably aren't a lot of 80+ year olds there. Germany's sample is pretty representative of the population.

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Went out for only the third time since 3/16. I was under the belief that the roads would be 70% emptier than before.

WRONG.

Why even bother with this shit?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I know, I tried.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Great question. Half-measures with all the pain and little of the benefit.

19. TennTradition

That data was released. I corrected it based on observed death rate to reflect a mortality rate for the general demographics of the US. They saw something over 1% but it comes down to 0.8% when corrected. Could that be more like 0.5%? Maybe. Only 700 patients and a fraction died so definitely some error bars.

A-Smith likes this.
  20. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain