COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably in January.

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

3M already said they would work with the administration, but can't simply only produce masks for the U.S. due to a few reasons. One, it's unethical to simply stop supplying the normal countries they serve. Secondly, and most practically, they get material from around the world, including fibers from Canada, to make these masks. Why would these countries allow this to occur if the U.S. is going to force 3M to use materials from their country and then not allow them the needed medical supplies made from these needed materials? This is a short sighted act and reeks of the usual desperation, lack of foresight and depth of knowledge this administration takes towards everything.

3. doolmeonce

doolmeonce Member

Chinese CDC. I assume they test a lot of things there?

4. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

TD - you’ve got me into a Facebook fight tonight. Haha.

I stated “It was explained to me as Mission > Men > Me” which I went on to say - paraphrasing - doesn’t mean don’t take care of your men (as this would ultimately compromise your mission and besides that sucks) but it does mean you don’t do it in a way that compromises your mission.

I was informed by even using the word men that I clearly have an outdated sexist view of the modern military. That if you refer to crew as men you will most definitely be reprimanded.

And that you are taught in the modern military that the people are the mission - taking care of them is your job.

So good to know that we are putting crews at risk through deployment for missions that are not as important as protecting the “men”.

Haha.

Now I don’t claim to know shit about how this works and didn’t pretend to.

But I have the natives riled up.

5. TennTradition

I’m probably not paying enough attention but I thought they were describing a separate bat testing facility.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I thought the purpose of the bats was specifically to study their coronaviruses. I think one of the lead scientists from the SARS stuff had her lab there.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    IP likes this.
  7. TennTradition

OK - thanks. Then yes, we have known about this facility for a very long time.

I figured if it was being brought up again and described as a bat testing facility it was something new.

Carry on.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Same place.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Same bat channel.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Obviously i did, but i dont recall anyone mentioning the possibility virus coming from that facility, vs the food market. Mustve missed it.

11. Ssmiff

Also read about a professor in milan who estimates italy has 5-10 million people with cv vs the 130k reported cases.

12. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

So the death rate would go way down then?

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Point out that the most important thing - the ship - is always a female, and referred to as “her” and “she”.

The mistake he made wasn’t in fighting to protect his crew - it was in the child-like manner in which he handled it (including people that should not have been included, which allowed it to get leaked), in subverting the chain of command (many of whom were most assuredly doing all they could to help him), and in generally turning a difficult but solvable problem into a media / command fiasco, ostensibly, because he’s an attention whore, he panicked, wanted to pitch a fit or some combination of all three.

And in over exaggerating everything, he unnecessarily hurt the readiness of that ship, weakened the morale of that crew, weakened our naval presence / mission in the theatre, worried the folks back home, and basically said the Navy was shit and didn’t care about their sailors. Any one of those would disallow you from continuing to drive and command any ship, anywhere - much less a damned aircraft carrier operating in such a crucial part of the world.

Here’s the bottom line: you never get everything you want in the military. And you can raise all manners of hell about it - and sometimes you should. You can fire off crazy letters and demand meetings. Cuss people out. Make dire pronouncements of doom if you don’t get it. Scream, yell. Both officers and enlisted do this...every...single...day. All day. And they don’t get reprimanded, much less demoted / removed. It’s part of doing business, man. Ask anyone who has served.

So, if it’s normal to have these in-fights, why did this guy get shit-canned?

He panicked, pitched a fit, whatever you want to call it, and clearly exceeded that fine line between being a strong advocate for his CREW and coming off as a person unhinged, out of bounds, and called his own level-headed leadership into question.

You cannot suffer questioning a cat’s character and level-headedness when he’s in charge of a carrier, a carrier task force (the carrier is the lynchpin...hence, it’s a “carrier group / force”) thousands of sailors, our friends in the area and countless civilians...and certainly not special weapons...which they totally don’t have on ships anymore.

From definitely not talking to a few folks, he was personally afraid of catching China Flu himself, and that’s what drove his actions - not his crew.

TIFWIW.

He had to be shit-canned, and it was absolutely right and proper that he was. Let that myopic crew cheer, even as he walked himself and his career off the plank. Because the guy who got those cheers, and who claimed to be fighting for them, is no longer there, and can’t do anything else to help them, now - and has absolutely no one to blame but himself.

Congrats?

14. Ssmiff

From over 10% current rate to .0014% if 10 million italians did have it. but since its an estimate, who knows. Australia has recently given the same estimates.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That still doesn't change the equation though it just changes how you get there.

It's not as deadly but even more contagious. Which means we still have to social distance because that .oo14% is still a hell of a lot and a huge strain on the system once you compound the hell out of it in a large population.

16. TennTradition

0.14% if 10,000,000 have it.

This is about 5x lower than the Princess Diamond passengers’ death rate when adjusted for US demographics. And Italy skews older so they should be higher not lower.

So I find that difficult to believe. Particularly since they were having to let patients die and the Princess Diamond patients did not suffer that to my knowledge.

Edit: Actually I will say since cases are still growing in Italy (but much more slowly) that I should be more careful with conflating the case fatality rate with the mortality rate - even if we are actually using the ‘real’ number of cases due to the lag effects associated with death vs diagnosis. Because it’s growing so much more slowly I think that creates less error than the situation we currently have here in the US. But, still....bad math.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That’s like 16% of the country. Seems pretty unlikely given that the majority of the problem has been confined to one region.

18. Ssmiff

They arent my numbers.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think a lot of people are throwing out crazy numbers. The Ohio governor is also off his rocker if he thinks hundreds of thousands of people have it in his state alone. Actually that was weeks ago, so we’d be in the millions territory for Ohio now n

20. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

The only ray of hope that I’m holding onto is the possibility (however remote / unlikely) that the lack of widespread testing is hiding the fact that many, many more than we know have already had it, were asymptomatic or had very mild symptoms, and have recovered or soon will.

My hope is based on nothing but a lack of testing, and well, blind hope.