COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Attached Files:

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What part of it is seasonal and what part of it is "opening back up", I wonder?

Volst53 likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have no idea. That Sweden is having issues suggests seasonal is a big factor though.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

but if seasonal, we could just be beginning on a spike far beyond anything seen so far. since it is now distributed everywhere.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm just kind of thinking out loud, too, I have no idea. It does seem like viable treatments for most are known, instead of ventilation and death.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That doesn't seem to be the case from other countries that started spiking before us on the seasonality of the virus.

Seems to be following other seasonal virus patterns

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the treatments help those who would have survived, recover more quickly and fully. we still had 1000 deaths yesterday. it is going to get folks at a certain clip, and the bigger the number of patients, the harder it is to treat those who are on the edge of survival.

8. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

[​IMG]

Sweden. That's not seasonal.

Attached Files:

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

didn't know about the spike in june, my mistake. I guess I fell for the "sweden is great, no shutdowns" mantra.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

do their death rate one

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am not following, these statements seem contradictory, but I think I am just not understanding what you mean. are you saying we will flatten out soon? my concern is that we just started climbing a big peak, rather about to summit one.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

The spike in June was from rural areas getting spread.

sweden is using the gold standards set for previous pandemics till China locked a whole city down and other countries followed.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

household size. less intergenerational transmission.

In other words, having a more egalitarian society protects the vulnerable.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

The US never locked anyone in their houses or set up an armed perimeter preventing travel.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

that we will see increased cases due to seasonality but it won’t be a rocket ship like January-April.

it’s following the seasonal increase of other seasonal virus.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

what constitutes a rocket ship?

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Seven day death average. It will rise but not like in spring as a vertical rocket.

it will look more like other seasonal illnesses from the data I’ve seen.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

in spring it started at zero and there were little in the way of therapeutic strategies. the deaths come more slowly but they still occur at some given rate. if cases climb, they will climb. I've called my shot a couple of times in this thread and have yet to miss.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Sweden's method is not a gold standard, by any means. Sweden is treating the pandemic like we are still in the early 1900s. And we aren't.

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

How do you know they are all covid?
    Flu isnt being tracked.
    Other disease mortality rates down or up?
    I keep seeing people talk about daily covid deaths but i need to see if other disease death rates are on normal pace or down.
    Last time i looked, nearly 60k/wk die.