COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Iceland is not really representative of Somewhere like the US or the UK. At all. There's only 200k of them, they all have a pretty high standard of living, and not living particularly densely.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

400k and they’re metabolically healthy something the US and UK isn’t at all.

Japan has had population studies on antibodies present in the population and antibodies present were found to be quite high.

but apparently their elderly population also has some of the highest vitamin D levels as well which is an indicator of good metabolic health as a population.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Any suggestions to when the Oxford vaccine will be made available to us. Seems like the most effective for rural areas due to being a traditional vaccine mechanism

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

If they're metabolically healthy and the US/UK is not... this is just another reason why they wouldn't make for a very good comparison group.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I said they weren’t genetically diverse as a population and the metabolic differences could impact the comparison but Iceland did a good job of mass testing that can still be used but may not reflect perfectly.

they also did an interesting job of mapping the virus to and tracking it genetically

they also required tourists to test on arrival and then 5 days later.

6. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don't like that vaccine. It seems, of them all, the most suspect to me.

7. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

So, my wife has to quarantine until Friday due to "exposure". She had a conversation with someone last Monday (5-10 minutes, socially distanced, both wearing masks) that tested positive on Saturday and didn't have any symptoms until Thursday night/Friday morning.

We are all for it because it gives my wife an excuse to work from home, but am I crazy in thinking that she doesn't meet any of the criteria from the CDC for close contact quarantining?

8. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And the details of the conversation was provided to the health department by the person that tested positive.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think you are right, but might as well quarantine to be sure because she was potentially exposed, since y'all are in a position to do so.

10. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

We are, just wanted to make sure I was understanding the CDC guidelines correctly and not crazy.

Since it was over 48 hours prior to symptoms that my wife had the conversation with the person, she should be in the clear in regards to needing to quarantine. Since they followed social distancing/masks guidelines, she should be in the clear as well, but they are adamant that she has to quarantine and won't/can't offer an explanation as to why.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Idk about her but should probably just go ahead and fire you into the sun

12. fl0at_

There is a belief, valid or not, that humans are terrible clocks, and that 5-10 minutes means 20-30 minutes.

13. fl0at_

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

As long as she washed her hands and wore a mask, zero chance she gets it..

15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Well that's not true. Transmission risk would be pretty low, but not zero.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Explains why my wife thinks I can last 5 minutes.

justingroves likes this.
  17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yes i know. Im one who isnt sure masks do too much to stop the virus. Many disagree and thats fine. I often dont agree with the majority

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

No. I have stay so I can suck the joy out of every interaction I have and be a burden to everyone who knows me.

19. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

I just want to have to quarantine once so I have an excuse not to leave the house for a week or so. I've been in close contact a few different times, but haven't found out until well after the window for needing to quarantine.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

there is a chasm between "zero risk" and thinking masks don't significantly help, though. No one disagrees that masks are not 100% effective. that position doesn't exist.

You've been wrong on about everything regarding the pandemic, since before it even started, mostly because you just state your gut feelings and make up strawmen to fight, like the idea that anyone ever said masks are 100% effective.