Soccer Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by tvolsfan, Mar 9, 2012.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

They still call him up?

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't think there's anything new developing in this case by the content of this article. But, I do want to continue to express my amazement the women's team actually expects the US Soccer federation to cover the difference FIFA paid to France and Germany in the last two World Cups to what was paid to them for winning the last two Women's World Cup. To the tune of $66 million. Completely and utterly insane.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/united-...-making-up-difference-in-fifa-money-untenable

Looking closer, there is this just recently come up.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate...hold-federal-funds-for-world-cup-unless-uswnt

Obviously, I nominally side with the Democrats on most issues, but they better not [uck fay] up 2026 with this virtue signaling bullshit.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    tvolsfan likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

They will [uck fay] it up because they won't understand it. I've had this discussion with a few liberal types and invariably, you have to walk them through this step by step and in the end they still think at least FIFA should somehow be made to pay. So the politicians won't even get that far and just think US Soccer is stiffing them.

4. Unimane

One hopes a judge would not succumb to such a plea and realize one organization shouldn't have to pay for another organization's policies. The rest of the people seem to be a mix of the stupid folks responding to the Hill article. Those being "the men's team sucks anyway" (Not anymore), "no one in America cares about soccer" (Might want to check out attendance and participation numbers in this country), "the best athletes in America don't play soccer and the ones leftover play the sport" (Sure, this is why our starting lineup is a who's who of the best clubs in the world) and so on. So, I second your concern people don't understand it.

There's an HBO special on this lawsuit and I have zero doubt they will include these realities or do a real critique of the weakness of the women's case. They have played this masterfully in the court of public opinion. It's too bad because it's really soured me on their team when I could be enjoying the amazing success the have had.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's weird. Being a nation of some 320 million people and the third most populous in the word, most populous of the fully developed world, we seem to have plenty of athletes so as to be swimming in international hardware across all sports like Scrooge McDuck. Perhaps they don't eat Wheaties and didn't notice.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I can’t imagine there would be enough support for withholding funds, and trying to do so would probably bring unwanted attention to the ridiculous demands.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I understand why the rule is in place but seems offsides for a half a head is extreme.

#newsoccerfan

tvolsfan likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuickkick

Yeah sometimes I think they could tweak it a little bit but then I think about what a cluster it already can be to call it and imagine how much worse it could be. The frame by frame replays make everything look worse in soccer

NorrisAlan, tvolsfan and chavisut like this.
  10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Place sensors in the shoes and based it off of that automatically rather than by visuals. Not sure why we aren't doing that in any sport rather than "video review." "Video review" is 1980's tech. We can have real-time spatial monitoring of heels and toes and make it consistent and something completely under the player's control (rather than oops, I leaned more than him or conversation about "planes").

11. Unimane

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Coca Cola is correct, this isn't anything more than a personal preference, which he is entitled to. Much like oil, big soda is something that doesn't have a limitless future anyway and is part of a continuing trend that has seen the beverage industry shifting. Remember, bottled water outsells bottled soda even in the US, for years now.

13. JohnnyQuickkick

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I respect that they aren't just rolling over for unpaid (to the players directly, anyway) product placement for their conferences. Has Marshawn Lynch vibes.

15. Unimane

Or tell Ronaldo about Dasani.

16. dknash

dknash Chieftain

How many Coca-Cola shareholders are we thinking watching Portugal-Hungary?

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lot of things are automated, such that a directional movement gets amplified as triggers are met.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  18. JohnnyQuickkick

CR7 fans are the Swifties of soccer. They probably bombarded Coke with hateful tweets

19. dknash

dknash Chieftain

IDK. If Kaepernick can't kill Nike, not sure I'm buying CR7, who is less noteworthy in America, can kill Coke.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

What’s the normal person’s equivalent to Coke losing 4 billion?

5 bucks? 50? 100?

tvolsfan and IP like this.