COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It wasn't expressly said, but that's because it didn't need to be said.

There would be no need for research in to booster shots if it was believed that the vaccine would always be protective.

But research in to booster shots has been talked about ever since the first major variant.

Therefore, it has been believed that this virus would get past vaccines, since the first major variant.

This virus could eventually get past this vaccine, and any booster, and even lead to worse outcomes for the vaccinated. Which is why it is important to stop it from further mutating.

And the best strategy for that is a massive vaccination campaign, even if the vaccine isn't but 60% effective.

2. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Have we ever created a 100% effective vaccine for anything?

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

But muh freedum

4. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I may be wrong, but I don’t think it’s possible

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

well, you'd need a population with a 100% consistent immune system so no

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Nothing is 100%. I simply don't believe anybody here expected/expects to be vaccinated and soon thereafter have covid. I dont recall another vaccine to have similar expectations. And again I tend to believe a person who had it prior may be more protected than those who had the vaccines.

8. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I didn’t expect to get it, nor would I have been completely shocked if I had been infected.

I’d also rather get whatever protection I have from getting a vaccine rather than being sick as shit for 3 weeks and having a real chance at lasting conditions (neurological, cardiological, respiratory, etc.) after recovering. This is not to mention my potential to spread it or add to the opportunity for mutation. Don’t understand why there are people that don’t feel the same way.

9. Ssmiff

I can understand the spread concern, but you can also quarantine to prevent it.
    Still seems the overall vast majority have no or light symptoms, unless you are old, obese and have underlying conditions, so imo your sick as shit for weeks with long-lasting neurological and cardiac repercussions concern is fine for you to worry about if you want, but a bit dramatic. You may as well be a consumate worrier if you are going to focus on the tiny % chance of that happening to you.

10. fl0at_

How do you quarantine to prevent something when you don't have symptoms?

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Venn diagram of people who thought/think herd immunity is imminent and the people who are surprised to learn vaccinations are not 100% effective and think acquired immunity is even more effective than those vaccines which they apparently thought were 100% effective is probably a perfect circle.

What a beautiful contradiction. Vaccines are not 100% effective?! Well, I think having caught it before is even more effective than the 100% effective I apparently thought vaccines were. Having caught COVID must be 120% effective. Except for those people who catch it twice. Or have long haul.

'kay. Super well thought out thoughts.

SetVol13 likes this.
  12. Ssmiff

Quietly

13. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

How is it dramatic? Completely healthy people have ended up being long-haulers or have brain fog or develop other conditions after they had moderate symptoms. I can take that chance down drastically simply by taking a grand total of one hour out of my life to go get two shots while I sit in my car and listen to podcasts that I was going to listen to anyway. Hell, yeah sign me up

The alternative is to what, wait til I get it and take an unnecessary chance? Hell I know people that are much healthier than me that got it and it kicked their asses months ago and they still aren’t back to the cardiovascular shape they were in. It’s like I’ve been saying since the beginning, in a not-insignificant percentage of people it wasn’t just “die or don’t die” it was “die or don’t die and maybe not have any lingering effects but maybe do.”

[uck fay] that, it’s silly for something that you can so easily mitigate. It’s a stupid hill to die on, and a lot of them are gonna do just that and bring a lot more down with them.

SetVol13 and Daddy Gee like this.
  14. Ssmiff

Nothing wrong with assuming having natural covid antibodies is more protection than a vaccine. But hey, if Fauci says it, you will slurp it up 2 seconds later.

15. fl0at_

If we all knew when we had it, or not, then we'd have quarantined it away. The problem is not knowing when you have it, or being infective several days before symptoms.

Vaccination can help with all of that, if the vaccine use utilized.

16. fl0at_

There is though, because a vaccine has a booster. So if a kick is needed, we can booster.

But what's the same thing for prior infection?

A booster infection? That's not a thing.

Immunity gained from actual infection is likely more protective. But, like all immunity, it wanes.

Immunity from vaccine wanes, you take a booster.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You exclaim you thought vaccines were 100% effective, and simultaneously hold that naturally acquired immunity is more effective. Square that.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

There is an irony in Ssmiff presenting naturally acquired antibodies vs vaccines as an either/or, when official guidance is to get the vaccine regardless for maximum protection.

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

And again, if you haven’t been infected before, why do you choose infection and potentially getting very sick to get your immunity over simply having a much lesser chance of getting sick?

Especially now that the Delta variant tends to result in higher viral loads, taking the chances of your being asymptomatic muuuuuuch lower

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

But no one could have known that, emain. No one. Impossible to say. Better to just go with your gut and let billions of your cells get hijacked to crank out more virus. Au naturel.