"The Athletic" discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by lylsmorr, Aug 5, 2018.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

If I quit reading everybody I vehemently disagreed with at one time or another, I’d probably have nothing left to read.

Tar Volon likes this.
  2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Meh, it's different me disagreeing with someone than them shitting on a fan base for something like that publicly. He's now Pat Forde and Dan Wolken to me

3. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Every time I think I'm over that mother [uck fay]er somebody throws something else out there from his tenure. I still remember him being picked up at the airport with Hart and being so pissed about it.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

Exactly. Why would I keep paying the Athletic $60 a year when I can read the exact same article from Forde, Wolken, or Thamel for free?

It was a great value when Ubben was a dedicated beat writer cranking out higher-quality articles than the rest of the market (even if we never did get someone on the basketball beat). Over the past 6 months, they devolved into SI quality. Probably not a coincidence that it coincides with a slew of articles about the venture’s inability to generate a profit.

InVolNerable, dknash and lylsmorr like this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

You want to defend Wolken, that it my unforgiveable sin.

warhammer likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

this is entertainment, and I don't care for "your momma" jokes which is what it literally is when they lump my parents in with a few drunks throwing bottles.

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Pretty sure he blocked me in 2018 and I haven’t given him a single thought since.

Well, until just now.

8. CardinalVol

That's my line. He crossed it.

Plus, Rexrode is pretty terrible and the Cardinals coverage has been awful. I don't see any reason to keep it.

lylsmorr likes this.
  9. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

It's definitely gotten worse. When Rexrode took over the only Vols coverage was buried in a mashup story about a lot of other teams.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Yeah, the Cubs coverage is still really good, as is their motorsports, soccer and 49ers coverage. Agree Rexroad sucks.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Only ones I really don't read is Wolken and Thamel but I never really read them to begin with. Forde is a [uck fay]ing douche too but he still has a few good ones here and there.

Rexrode sucks and sucked long before he was hired at the Athletic. I read a few of his Tennessean articles, chuckled and never read anything from him again until he got the Vols coverage at the Athletic. Well, he still sucks

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Like how he spun the Wolken thing into something it wasn't.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what I am most pissed about. It was kind of a lie.

warhammer likes this.
  14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

It's a lie. I went back and reread what was reported as a transcript. Mary Lou Retton has to be at work on your flipping mind to think what he said was true.

15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Since everyone is on the [uck fay] Ubben train, anyone want to give a brother some quotes from the article that pissed everyone off?

16. LawVol16

LawVol16 Member

This is probably the worst.

“Don’t like a reporter agreeing with the hire and texting the athletic director that he’ll defend it in a column? Harass that reporter online endlessly and turn him having an opinion that aligned with the athletic director and not the fans into him being a PR agent for that athletic director.”

HCKevinSteele and warhammer like this.
  17. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

This is the opening line to his frail heel turn. IT sets the tone, and he follows suit calling back every major action by fans that generated negative headlines going back to the Kiffin departure and spinning it as "childish" fans. Somewhere he loses touch with his token assignment of the actions to a select number. It's not his best writing.

18. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

I've read that 2nd sentence at least ten times and I've come to the conclusion that Ubben stroked out. Very Hubbs esque.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It just glosses over why he would be texting with the AD at all.

justingroves likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

TN fans overreact. I'm not arguing that. So do all SEC (and Big 10, and some ACC and some Big 12) fans. Ever watched Bama fans at Media Days? Seriously? You are going to tell me they wouldn't throw stuff or worse if that happens against Bama? Really? REALLY? One of them killed a A&M fan last week. And wasn't there another Bama invovled shooting in Oregon last year? They should probably think their lucky stars that Twitter wasn't around for the 2000-2006 time frame.

I wouldn't have really cared if it wasn't for a few unnecessary cheap shots and really cheap opinion making. Otherwise, he has a point. I may not agree with it, but he has one. That said, you can sum up nearly all the culprits in Kiffin leaving and Saturday in two words - college students. Schiano Sunday was a tad different but that was an event in its own league. But, it's easier to just lump everyone all together. Better story.

It's lazy. I expect it from Thamel, Forde, Wolken, and friends. I actually thought Ubben was above it.

LawVol16 likes this.