Anyone Ever had a Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Feb 1, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

No, my position is that your end times belief is as I have described it. You yearn for the end of days, and the suffering of billions. The happiest moment of your belief system will be when you ascend to heaven, and billions others to hell.

And you have failed to refute that with what your belief is, which means your belief is as I have described it, despite your protestations that it is not.

2. fl0at_

You're trying to make me understand, now, why you think that way. I'm the tester, here. And you are demonstrating that you are not willing to sacrifice, under any circumstances.

Torture is survival. If the test is torture or not torture, and others are tortured, what I choose is to call that bullshit, and whatever happens, happens.

3. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I don't. Is that good enough? I mean you are asking me to prove my feelings about something. Show me how you know I feel this way. I mean come on float.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

If there is a supreme being as limited as you, then yes I am [uck fay]ed. Pretty much in any circumstance where there is a judging all-powerful being we are [uck fay]ed. All-powerful, makes everything, and then judges what he made? Ya, we're [uck fay]ed.

5. fl0at_

No, if you believe that it is going to happen, as a result of something you do want, then yes, you are yearning for it to occur. It may be a byproduct, but it is still a product. And how I know you feel this way is that you have not said:

"I do not believe that is what will happen. My God would not eternally punish others."

6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I'm not ready for the end of days and the suffering of billions sucks pretty bad. I guess he's referring to the religious fringe. Nobody I know or been around in Baptist, Methodist, catholic or any other random churches I've been thru or left the last 30 years was yearning for the end and bask in suffering of non believers.
    Except maybe the older folk who were at their end and had enough.
    I dont care for religion or church for many reasons. Most Christians I know look at it as we believe we have a place to go. Soul, brain, whatever. I dont know. But I was told by a Mormon friend I would be in the ghetto area of Heaven compared to him.
    Fine with me. I'm in the gate.

7. fl0at_

Except that you aren't willing to adopt that stance, and are choosing to take the "I'm not [uck fay]ed" path. In the face of an all power, makes everything, judge what he made, where we're all [uck fay]ed... IP chooses to not be [uck fay]ed, even as others are [uck fay]ed.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, good non-mormons go to Pinto heaven. Good mormons go to Cadillac heaven. Best mormons become gods of their own planets.

9. fl0at_

By believing that that is the ultimate end, and wanting that to be the place you end up, you are yearning for it to occur. You may not be trying to bring it about, but it is what you want. You want to get to Heaven, knowing that there is a Hell.

It isn't enough for you to just want to get to Heaven and believe there is not a hell. If you believe there is a hell, and you yearn for heaven, you are yearning for the suffering of billions.

10. Ssmiff

Well, yeah um I'm gonna have to disagree with you there.

11. fl0at_

No doubt, you want to live in paradise knowing that others aren't. I know we disagree. I could never be so selfish.

12. Ssmiff

Same choice everybody has. The how can you have fun while I'm over here suffering by own choice bit is a new one.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You are telling me I am morally obligated to fall on a make-believe sword. Bang bang, you got me. Now what?

I'm just being honest. I am pragmatic. If the universe is in fact an infantile playset, my whole existence is bullshit anyway so why suffer more than I can avoid? Either I was created so deeply flawed as to be presented with all the information needed to "believe" and it makes no logical or rational sense to me and I have no "faith bone" or whatever, OR I'm deeply misguided and just need to accept the situation, OR the whole situation is FUBAR and it really doesn't matter what I do as I am just a toy. If your maker set all this up, you refusing to bend the knee is all just an elaborate reflection of his will to torture you. You aren't rebelling against the [uck fay]ed up system, that is the system. It's the script and you can't deviate from it. Our personal identities are illusions if this is all a universe set up for the perfect maker to judge his intentionally defective products. There's an existential layer to this that is ignored by pretending like you have and ever had any personal agency at all in such a scenario.

chef65 likes this.
  14. fl0at_

Because you're a contradiction. You want the best of people, but aren't willing to be the best yourself.

Not even in a hypothetical. If you can't be the best, for others, in a hypothetical, what chance do we have as a specie to be the best for others in reality?

15. fl0at_

By arguing that you should also be able to come have fun. And by not punishing you if you choose to believe that what I'm doing isn't fun.

It's not the same choice. I want you to be you, and nothing bad happen to you. You don't want me to be me. You want me to be you.

chef65 likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

I want you to want me. I need you to need me.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Can you explain to me the benefit for other people of me choosing eternal torture when clearly presented with the choice, in the face of an all-powerful being that can not be fought or argued against, who shapes reality itself?

chef65 likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Okay sport, here's the deal. I'm God. Don't sweat the details, just understand that's who I am, I want you to find peace and live eternally in bliss over here in this perfect place with all these other folks, who have all agreed to not be assholes in return for all wants being met. All you got to do is accept the situation. If you do not, I am going to torture you forever and horribly with every other asshole who refused over there in that terrible place. Again, don't sweat the details. Chill or torture forever. So? What do you think?"

Float: I REFUSE, ALMIGHTY BEING ACTUALLY STANDING IN FRONT OF ME!

"Ya, I knew you'd say that. I'd have no one to torture if I had made you all not assholes. Anyway, here's your orientation manual, but you only get a few minutes to look it over. The Coach Butch Jones musical biopic starts at 9:00 and your attendance is inescapable."

chef65 likes this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The thing is, most believers of a religion believe so because they were brought up in said religion or around the culture of said religion from the time they were a child. So to say there is a choice is not entirely true for most people, no different in any cultural system.

Poppa T likes this.
  20. fl0at_

Maintaining your own morality and honor in the face of overwhelming odds, and personal discomfort may not benefit others. But it might.

But you should be answerable to yourself, first. And your answer is that you will always put yourself first.