Anyone Ever had a Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by lumberjack4, Feb 1, 2021.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Float, how is it again that I am yearning? Your logic makes no sense at all. Your position that by my belief in the coming of the end, I yearn for it is odd.

I did not believe Tennesse would win this past weekend. Does that mean I yearned for a loss? I need to know to make sure I have zero doubts before USA this weekend. I don't think it will be hard, but I need to know.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Under those conditions (some of crew might suffer vs you immediately suffer), I would have to object and immediately suffer. If some of my crew are not being given entrance to the door, I can't leave them. If they are just refusing to go through the door for whatever reason, I may try to reason with them but ultimately I am tied to their fate.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

No rapture, but the dead come back and everyone is judged, sorted into heaven basket and hell basket. Revelation Chapter 20.

The rapture is not mentioned in the Bible, but those who believe in it point to specific verses which they interpret to be "the rapture."

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

When two things must happen. Must happen. You understand? Must. No options not to. Wishing for one or the other, brings about the other, so yearning for one is yearning for the other. Because they both must happen.

Not believing Tennessee would win is not the same as that they must lose, because they may not.

How about you tell me, though... If you want to go to heaven, why is that not yearning? Now know, that when you go to heaven, some other things must occur (if you believe they must occur). So how is that not also yearning for that occurrence, knowing, that they must occur?

5. fl0at_

Is 1st Thessalonians not in the bible? I thought it was.

6. fl0at_

Same concept, except this is your planet. Your earth. Your people. Right door, or object?

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes, but it has been interpreted and re-interpreted to be different things many times, just like the rest of the Bible or any other religious scriptures.

The term "rapture" was never used before the 1800's as far as I know, and you magically "poofing" off into Heaven wasn't taught. In fact, as best as I can determine, there were all kinds of beliefs, just as there are now, about what would happen. The rapture is almost exclusively an American belief and invention.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is. Some interpret the rapture there, among other places. But that was a relatively recent interpretation and is not shared by all Christians. In the context of the second coming in Revelation, it says everyone is getting judged, living and dead, good and bad. Before God. All in the same place. Doesn't fit the rapture narrative, but whatever it is all fan fiction.

9. fl0at_

I imagine that the term rapture wasn't used, but 1st Thessalonians talks about what we call "rapture," regardless of when we started calling it "rapture." Now, yea, there could be some translation from the original texts to whichever language, but, I don't think the various versions of the words allude to much different.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

If it is my family, friends, children/innocents, etc object. If it is a bunch of mouth breathing bammers or those people who modify their trucks to "roll coal," LOL bye.

11. fl0at_

I hope they have a good queuing system, if we're doing it all at once.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you are being judged on your life and you already died, you can cut the line with zero consequences. Loop hole. In fact, careful reading of the scripture indicates full-on anarchy and debauchery will be free of scrutiny for those already dead awaiting judgement. You're off the clock. Queues are for living losers.

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

The Good Place does a good job of explaining the tyranny of Eternity, whether in the Good Place or the Bad Place. In the end, it is all torture.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I have no idea what you are trying to get across here. My belief in something does not equate a yearning for it to happen. Because end times will happen at some point does not mean I yearn for it. This is not a difficult concept.

15. fl0at_

Apparently it is a difficult concept for you. Do you want to go to heaven? Yes or no?

What is the difference, to you, between desire and yearning?

16. fl0at_

Old habits die hard. I'll get stuck holding the door.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

may be witnessing floats MLC right now with his philosophies. Yearn means long for. Like IP yearns for pandemic overseas travel or jqk yearns for Fazoli's. Aint nobody that counts longing for anybody to suffer. Nor do most long for Heaven. I'd like to be around a little longer.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Yes

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why? I have never understood the firm believer's preference to be alive or why they mourn the dead at all.

20. fl0at_

Right, so what's the difference between that want, and yearning?