Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't want to toss it aside, I want him to get calibrated over a meaningful but agreeable target. He's wrong in what he said but we can all understand that an 18 year old gunning down elementary students with a two day old firearm purchase is maddeningly horrible.

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

100% agree. Overall it’s just frustrating to me that Biden went and did the one thing you can’t do if you want Republicans to help (if that’s even possible), which is give the other side reason to believe you don’t just want better/stricter rules for purchases, assault weapons ban, high capacity mag ban, etc.

To gun owners if you come after 9mm, that signals nothing whatsoever, even shotguns or bolt action deer rifles, is off limits.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, 9 mm is pretty much the pistol round in this country.

OneForVol likes this.
  4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I believe even Trump said it was a bit crazy that you could buy an AR15 at 18 that could mass murder people but you had to wait until 21 to own a handgun. Both sides need to work together on this and get something done or just decide its OK to point the figure as more kids get gunned down.

5. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

An AR is classified as a rifle. A handgun is a handgun.

The difference would be like if you could buy a revolver at 18, but want to make a Glock 21 and older.

If you want to move AR to 21, the judiciary is going to require all rifles be moved to 21.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why preempt the judiciary?

7. fl0at_

Not going to get all firearms to 21. This would be the best time, since most big box stores don't even carry firearms anymore, but even now, I don't think legislation requiring the purchase of a firearm be restricted to 21 only is going to happen.

It's going to be fought.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Could they reclassify the AR to a new class that is restricted to 21 or older? Create a new class?

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think if you push voting and military enrollment to 21. You could easily push buying a firearm to 21.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

What would be the social cost of pushing it to 21? What is the drawback? Anyone under 21 could still get access through family or friends same as someone under 18 now. That filters out some of the lone wolves.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Think about the implications of this.

13. fl0at_

I don't think it would pass a challenge. And that challenge is going to come from manufacturers, who need a different insurance now.

zehr27 likes this.
  14. fl0at_

I think if you were going to reclassify, you'd have to do it by action. Anything semi automatic would be 21 or older.

That would leave you pump action, bolt action and single shot at 18.

That might pass.

NorrisAlan, justingroves and zehr27 like this.
  15. fl0at_

No way we allow for 3 more years of maturity for enlisted.

16. fl0at_

I feel the gunsplaining bit, but we're trying to walk a very narrow path here, and so it needs to be a technical, in the weeds, discussion.

Certain things are very common. And certain words put very common things in with very uncommon things.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like my chances better against a guy with no experience operating any of those in a mass shooting. It might bring numbers down.

18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Not a bad concept.

1st gun my parents got me was a single-shot 20 ga. It is a Sears-Roebuck, kicks like a [itch bay]. I did not like that gun. (But I still have it.) I wanted a pump so bad, like he and my great grandfather. My dad told me when you only have one shot to kill a rabbit, quail, dove, duck, etc. it will make you a better shot. Then, we'll talk about a pump.

SetVol13 likes this.
  19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

All rifles or just AR's?

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Your dad wasn't wrong

Poppa T likes this.