Georgia

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Oct 29, 2022.

1. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Hooker was like a deer in headlights yesterday. Missing open receivers, inaccurate, and no feel for the blitz or pocket collapsing.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Small should be in a dead sprint to the flat and headed upfield looking back at Hooker. Easy 10-15 yard pickup with man up top

Attached Files:

Memtownvol likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Look at the space 20 has. This was the int throwing to Ced.
    Again, another 10-15 yard gain, easy. No wonder we can’t sign rbs. Other coaches have to be pointing this out and showing how they will get them the ball in space.

Attached Files:

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

This is where, normally, Hooker scrambles straight to the sideline to pickup 7-8 as this offense is predicated on staying ahead of the chains.

Early on, Hooker played terribly. Hard to watch first 3-4 drives and think UGA overwhelmed us. That did come later on though.

5. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Milton knocked out Hooker and wore #5 yesterday, I'm sure of it.

6. Ssmiff

Lot going on for Hooker. Heisman. Playoff. Chance to be a legend. NIL deals. He was off. Ga had a lot to do with it, but qb runs and dumps were there and will be by whomever plays Ga. It’s why I thought Bama could beat them.

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Bill C’s adjusted scoring margin was 26. I expected it to be worse than 14, but I didn’t expect it to be quite that bad—that was a butt-whooping

(Incidentally, it was 29 in the Georgia/Oregon game. Looks like those games will be viewed much more similarly in the fancy stats than the boxcar stats. Fortunately the committee isn’t made up of all nerds)

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Tuff game. I thought we played poorly. I thought we coached poorly. We lost.

I thought we would do better. But we didn't.
    At least now it stings again when we lose.
    After years of feeling numb, I had almost forgot what it felt like.

9. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

In the first 8 games he was hurried only 39 times total.

UGA hurried him 20 times.

it’s been too easy for him most of the year, tbh

warhammer and Tar Volon like this.
  10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m a broken record here, but if I’m ranking the factors that led to how many times we were hurried, it goes:

1. Us putting ourselves in 3rd and long with penalties and bad play calling.

2. Coaches/Hooker refusing to adjust to the blitz with hot routes and more bodies in protection.

3. Georgia talent/defensive playcalling.

11. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

If you're interested. I especially liked his answer starting at the 7:02 mark.

12. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

As much as yesterday sucked, I can't even really be mad or upset.

We are so ahead of schedule at this point and are still well positioned to make it in the CFB as long as business is taken care of these last 3 games. The Alabama and Clemson losses took the sting out of yesterday a little bit.

Going to Neyland for the first time since 2017 on Saturday so hoping they rebound well and make the trip worthwhile.

VOLinDAWGland and justingroves like this.
  13. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

That game honestly went exactly how I would’ve expected it to go in August. Basically every other game has gone better. Frustrating to watch yesterday, but so hard to complain in the context of this season.

Duckman likes this.
  14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's a good perspective.

15. Ssmiff

I’m not as much complaining as I am kinda wanting another shot and hope to see Hooker and Heup seeing the opportunities, without 1st and 15 nine times.
    Players get rattled. Even the best Brady or Manning. We have been spoiled how Hooker has handled everything. That was the loudest place he’s played and nfl fast defense in basically a playoff game.
    Anxious to see how we respond this week. Missouri can be a pain

Memtownvol likes this.
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t think you can hold this opinion and the “we were completely outmatched” opinion at the same time. They work against each other.

Either we were completely outmatched and shouldn’t be looking forward to a rematch, or we didn’t play/coach up to our abilities and think we can win a rematch if we do play/coach up to our abilities.

17. Ssmiff

no they don’t. Hard to beat a good team twice. Crowd wouldn’t be a factor and we would adjust offensively, with some crowd support of our own. Outmatched teams can also win games if they don’t have 9 presnap penalties and hit the deep balls we’ve been hitting.
    Name a position group compared to Ga that is better. Maybe wr. Qb is a push. When they are better at every other position, we are overmatched.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

You’re giving this Georgia team way too much credit. Maybe WR? Seriously? Lol we are worlds better at WR

QB is not a push. They’re not special at RB. They’re probably a little better on the OL, but not by much. Obviously they’re better at TE.

Going into the game, everyone was talking about how their defense is pedestrian and hasn’t been challenged since week 1. They have a number of elite guys who are injured. Now, coming out of the game, people are ignoring how we constantly shot ourselves in the foot and are pretending the defense is magically elite again.

We weren’t outmatched. We shit the bed. But regardless, saying “we are outmatched… I want to play them again!” makes no sense to me.

19. Ssmiff

—maybe wr as in maybe wr is the only group where we are better
    —Bennett is every bit as good of a college qb as Hooker.
    —they are better at rb than we are
    —competitors want a shot at a team again after an L, even if overmatched. You never got your ass handed to you and couldn’t wait to play the team again? If not, i kinda doubt you played or you never lost a game or got punched in the mouth in a game.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

- I was highlighting the “maybe.” There is no “maybe” when comparing the WR groups.

- No, he hasn’t been. Dude threw 0 TD passes in a 3 game span against Auburn, Mizzou, and Kent State.

- Solid defense of the RB stance.

- If you’re a player, you should want another shot no matter what. It’s not the same as a bunch of fans saying they want a rematch. Did you want a rematch against Bama every year for the past 10 years. Of course not. Because we were outmatched, leaving no doubt that the outcome would be the same.