POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

It doesn’t seem like a fair trade if you view this through the lens of comparing the level of criminality between the two, however I’m not losing sleep over this. Glad she’s back. And 10 years in a US prison is still a [itch bay]. At least now both will be happily dining on some [ussy pay] tonight.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Same. I'll do it in person.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Between the geopolitical chess games, Griner's experience of 10 months in a Russian gulag and someone who is called "The Merchant of Death", I expect some good ass Netflix content to emerge from all of this.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

What if Whelan's family told you that this isn't how it works and you are hurting his chances of getting released by playing into the machinations to make this domestically politically valuable to keep holding him?

5. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I also wonder if Whelan being a Marine who was dishonorably discharged over stealing thousands of dollars of equipment from Iraq and also hacking into US military computers in order to fraudulently alter his personal PT grades from failing to passing has anything to do with both this administration and the last one not actively pursuing his release as vigorously as many have expected. I for one really don't even remember Paul Whelan's case being a mainstream media story widely known about during the Trump years, but maybe that's just me.

Because Trump did have some known success throughout his Presidency freeing detained Americans from countries that aren't exactly our geopolitical friends. Just ask the UCLA basketball players who he played a large role in helping them avoid a multi-year prison sentence in China for shoplifting. A crime btw that those kids definitely and idiotically committed.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

This administration has been and is vigorously pursuing his release.

It was mainstream, but it was seen as just being political to criticize anything about Trump.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...held-spy-moscow-pleas-trump/story?id=63832958
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/former-u-s-marine-paul-whelan-jailed-16-years-russia-n1231046
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...5fc7a4-aa5e-11ea-a43b-be9f6494a87d_story.html

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

8. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Safe to say not everyone is fully satisfied with this administration's results so far in the Whelan case. And that was not to say no Mainstream articles or vids on YT were created about him as it was all going down, I just don't remember his cause ever being routinely harped on by non right leaning media entities. Felt like the masses in general weren't even adequately made aware of this guy until his case gained more traction via him riding the coattails of the Griner news these past 10 months.

Not sure what the deal was with Team Trump seemingly not making this a huge priority, I guess the political implication from some would be that it's just another reason showing how Trump was in the tank with Russia.

9. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Tiny thread there, not a lot of deep discussion within there, but interesting to look back on nonetheless. Do you still have a hunch that he was actually a US spy? Or do you buy the prevailing narrative our country is selling that he is just an unlucky American who got caught up in some geopolitical BS?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

My hunch is the same but has no bearing on needing to get him home.

Your previous comment seems backwards to me. Right wing news hardly acknowledged him ever until the last year. Mainstream and left news occasionally brought him up or caught up on developments since the start and he was mentioned a little less than half the time within Griner coverage.

No one should be satisfied until he is home, but making it partisan is going to make holding him more valuable. We need a united front.

I think this exchange may help lubricate something but it is a matter of finding a cost that can be stomached. Who knows what they want.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I have not given a partisan take on this issue once here. I didn’t specify anything about right leaning outlets because I already agree with your overall assertion as to why it was nonexistent on right leaning entities. That story just was not floating around within the conservative media ecosystem and seemed like a redundant point to reaffirm.

Just was saying as someone who consumes all types of both establishment and independent media entities across the entire political spectrum, I just don’t really remember his case being widely marketed to the masses at the time outside of the occasional 2nd page type headline. At least not to the extent that Griner, UCLA basketball, Otto Wombier, the other American imprisoned by North Korea, ect did. As it all went down in real time it never became a focal, virally known event imo when you look back on it. I certainly don’t remember at the time any partisan talking points emerging from his arrest and conviction.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
  12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm saying if this becomes about Biden more than Whelan, it actively hurts whelan's chances. We want this to be about the US and Whelan.

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

If? That was the plan all along most likely.

16. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

17. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Why? Because he stood up for the national anthem? Did he even sing it, too?!?! Are we going to start sentencing here in America with consideration to political beliefs, as well?

Also, the guy was discharged from the Marines for criminal activity. Does Griner have any criminal background which matches the type of fraud Whelan did to get put out of uniform? What has she done which makes her less "deserving" of being left in Russia behind Whelan? If it's anything to do with political ideology or any various legal activities, then [uck fay] that stupid ass noise.

Yes, [uck fay] that noise. I reiterate, there's only one pertinent consideration of merit here and that is are they American and are they held wrongly (Ok, that's two, but roll with it)? The rest is dumbass bullshit and I don't give two [uck fay]s about it because it's not worth considering. Anyone with two brain cells could step back and realize why she's going home before him and it has nothing to do with her being a gay liberal basketball player. She was in Russian prison because of trace amounts of cannabis oil she used as a lotion and he was in Russian prison for [dadgum] espionage. If anyone thinks she would be getting out before him if the charges were reversed, they are kidding themselves. The Russians aren't giving up a dude who they believe is a spy over some cannabis possession.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m not at home right now. But this isn’t about me anyway. This is about you telling her family off to their face(s). Keep your eye on the prize, so to speak.

19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Unreal to say the attention Griner is getting has nothing to do with her being who and what she is. How many Americans are behind bars right now in this country and 15+ other countries who deserve to be out? Can’t name or count them, because they are not a focus, because they aren’t gay, black basketball players with pressure on Biden from lgbtq, black and dems, aka his voters.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

But yet we'll give up over one of the most dangerous men on earth.

She's an arrogant [itch bay] who gave the Russians an opportunity to pull a gotcha. Now because Bron Bron and all the other NBA players make a big deal about it, we give up one of the most dangerous [uck fay]ing men on earth to get her home.

She was an arrogant dumbass, got busted, and now a dude who is probably already plotting his next moves is free. And I'll wager lots and lots of money if she was some WNBA player that was on the right side of the spectrum that got caught in this, she'd be rotting there, and you damn well know I am right.