COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Look what China’s draconian lockdown did for natural immunity in the long run over there. Now they are losing millions more.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is an apt analogy, though. It would, and it hasn't. And in both cases it is a matter of practicality as to why we didn't and no one has. But that doesn't change the fundamentals of slowing the curve, which I think we did accomplish. A church potluck is communist as hell, and those work fine. Everything gets wild when they scale up but the basic principles are still real.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Lol, is that a real question? I didn't call for a real mandatory lockdown, I have pointed out that people saying it didn't work are kidding themselves if they think we had one. You know how many new Yorkers moved south during covid? That's not a lockdown.

4. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Is what China did a true lockdown in your opinion? Not a gotcha question, I’m not totally clear on what to you would be a lockdown that would flatten the curve.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Wuhan was, and a few other cities. If everyone did what they were supposed to, it dies out. But once it was international, only a place like new Zealand could keep it out. However people doing all the things to limit spread does flatten the curve. In a world where we went business as usual, we would have had bodies in the streets by April 2020. It would have burned out quickly but killed more people and been far more psychologically scarring for the whole nation to be simultaneously sick. Imagine if grocery stores can't open because everyone is too sick to work or drive trucks. And then the panic.

We probably did a C+ job overall.

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

To me it's just hard to imagine that you could fully stamp it out without the human cost being too high. Hopefully you and I will be gone from this Earth without another chance to try. If you remove politics / economic response from the equation I think it we did a respectable job. I just think our country is so deeply broken, in ways most people can't really begin to comprehend, and most of the problems we see whether Covid-specific or not are a product of that.

7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

In fairness to the Yanks migrating Red State America was the place to be during those days compared to the alternative. Guess it was dumb of us parroting our govt/media/everyone in American society dubbing it a “lockdown” then since it wasn’t actually a “lockdown”. Gotta be smarter next time with how we phrase stuff.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I lived in Texas so I guess my experience was very different. But my kids were only out of school Spring of 2020.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I had to have papers or shopping bags for groceries or whatnot (never really could tell how you were supposed to prove you were grocery shopping) for the German authorities if I was caught out of my house for a spell, but I wouldn't even call that a true lockdown based on how many people were out and about. Oh, and there was a curfew because COVID gets worse after 8pm.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Well I am not interested in involuntary lock down, I am interested in everyone agreeing to a 2 week period where we don't contact outside our bubble that we establish with contact on that outset, then go from there. Involuntary won't work here. This is America

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

They just didn't want parties

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

download (2).jpeg

ole_orange likes this.
  13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Commie

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

I just think everyone should get a chance at the deviled eggs, is all.

justingroves likes this.
  15. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Head of the NIH and is wearing his completely useless cloth Nats mask as a chin diaper in the middle of a Pandemic. How does the guy in charge of diseases for America not even rock one of those surgically graded medical masks that actually works? Worthless

16. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

We were asked to social distance, limit large gatherings*, and wear masks. Which to hear some tell it, made us communist China - the country that was literally welding people into their own homes.

*yes I know both democrats and republicans had several instances of not doing this. That doesn't make the mitigation procedure any less valid or correct.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Performative outrage. Outdoors, drinking a beverage and in a small pod. The horror. It is a snapshot.

If he was wearing more, he'd be criticized for that.

18. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Useless cloth mask as someone representing the Science? Nice!

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

"Useless" because it isn't an N-95.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Performative cloth Natty mask. So Fauci it hurts lol