COVID-19 (artist formerly known as Wuhan strain novel Corona virus)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Jan 28, 2020.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

If vaccinated, it was over 90% effective in preventing infection against the original strain. I remember that people complained about that figure, and then somehow jumped on "you said we wouldn't get it at all never ever if we got the fauci ouchie!" From the start, it was clear it was not 100%, same as most vaccines or anything in life really. It was also made clear that the more the virus spread and mutated, the higher the risk immunity of any kind would decrease.

I can demonstrate the above when I get home with dates pages and archives. People have either tricked their memories or are perhaps thinking of a specific person saying it like Biden, after he was potus. But the original messaging was over 90% for original strain with mutations diminishing it.

The spreading thing connects with the first thing because people were asymptomatic spreaders even when vaccinated, which is very unusual for respiratory illnesses.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

If you are saying pandemics have consequences, I agree. There was no "stop covid" lever. Believe me, Trump would have pulled it.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

That's fair because, even at the time, scientist were saying hold up this thing mutates and we don't yet know how this holds up to mutations. But we also never got remotely close to the vaccination levels required for that to be true in the first place. Because people sabotaged the response and then complained it was terrible because it didn't work.

I take the opposite position on scientists messaging. People saw the scientific method happen in real-time. And a lot were (and still are) confused as [uck fay] because we didn't know everything there was to know on day one, because science is continual discovery and refinement. Our pandemic response was probably the most transparent thing we've ever seen from our government and will probably never see its like again. If people want an unchanging message, they're idiots.

4. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Of course there wasn’t. But there were a lot of different levers being pulled and pulling them the way we did was a conscious decision to save the lives of the elderly while ruining the lives of many young people. I don’t know how any sane person can’t see now that schools should have been open once the vaccine was out, period.

5. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Yeah, COVID was sub optimal for all of us.

IP likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

The lib “lessons learned” like mass gatherings during the crucial first few months of lockdowns because contagious pandemics apparently make exceptions as long as it’s “a good cause” or Dem politicians showing to everyone that they were not actually taking this thing seriously by refusing to be personally inconvenienced by their own lockdowns were just as bad. Maybe even worse when you factor in how those optics only emboldened those “selfish” conservatives desiring to resume living normally again. Surely you can realize this, right? Or do you actually think only fixating your anger and frustrations on “conservative lessons learned” is the only appropriate play here?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would want to see a deeper analysis on that. Also, it varies quite a bit between local areas as to when schools opened. Mine were open once the vaccine was out.

8. HCKevinSteele

Jesus this is so out of touch. You want to do scientific method in real time? That’s fine, call it that. That is not what the message was.

With regard to transparency, miss me with that bullshit. The list of lies is too long to count. I appreciate what you’re saying there, I’m not dismissing it entirely it is valid on one hand, but all the lies in the other cancel it out as far as I’m concerned.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I have no problem with people not knowing anything from day one. Never have. But if you are guessing, tell me. If you aren’t sure, say so. The “trust me we are the professionals and you have to listen to us” makes less sense when you really don’t know. And we didn’t.
    I have to repeat it amazes me that IP keeps reminding me I was wrong at the beginning about severity. No shit. Things changed quickly. Why everyone else, who were all in charge, are given a pass for not knowing, yet a message boarder has to be “reminded”, is odd to me.

10. HCKevinSteele

The impact can’t be fully quantified but to the extent we can quantify it we can already see how far behind kids are and how mental illness has skyrocketed.

11. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The messaging was daily updates. A lot of what we know nows were said as I recall. Most of the absolutes were thrown out by politicians, not scientists.

12. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

The lesson learned is follow the plan. Not don't have one at all.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

You aren't considering the non action impacts at all, that is what i mean by deeper analysis. We need to weigh x lives and negative health outcomes against y lives and negative health outcomes. Things don't just go exactly the same but with normal school life. And normal school life also has some degree of negative outcomes as well.

14. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

And don’t go out of your way to mix sick people in with entire nursing home populations. Can’t forget that crucial lesson next time too.

I just don’t get why “the conservative lessons learned” here clearly troubles you, yet no bemoaning of the general “liberal lessons learned” pitfalls that equally helped sink the proverbial ship.

15. HCKevinSteele

I am considering it. That school wouldn’t be normal is a fair point, though any school is infinitely better than remote school.

It’s not like we were successful at preventing people from getting Covid. Post vaccine it probably got almost anyone it could get.

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Should there be a next time in our lifetime, maybe start just by straight up telling us an indefinite lockdown is required. No “only two weeks to flatten the curve” BS they surely knew was not actually going to happen like that.

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

Managing a client's expectation was always a challenge for our salesmen.

Maybe politicians are salesmen who couldn't make it in the Private sector?

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You were never locked down. Had we done a lockdown, if even possible, it would have flattened the curve. You may as well argue that a feather disproves gravity.

19. HCKevinSteele

I agree we never did a true lockdown. But the assertion that a true lockdown would have flattened the curve, to me, sounds about like "real communism has never been tried".

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I mean in the China sense of a “lockdown” no. In an American way of the “lockdown” yes. It’s not like it was not called a lockdown. Are you implying ideally we shouldn’t have even been allowed to go out to buy food and water? Arrests of those caught breaking the lockdown? Or what?