Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

An answer from a sports law guy on Twitter -

--------------------------------

College athletes would need to be recognized as employees under the National Labor Relations Act or a state law equivalent in order to unionize. As of now they lack that recognition. But that could change, and might over the next couple of years.

warhammer likes this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ncaa sweating intensifies

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

All of this is avoided if they just let Jeremy Bloom keep his Olympic sponsorship money he was using to train and say, "fine. You can make money outside of school. NIL, if you will. And since you can, everyone else can."

CardinalVol, justingroves and IP like this.
  4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Sounds like something that should be more or less a formality if the court decision ultimately goes against the NCAA.

It would be interesting if we saw dueling labor relations boards from different states go different directions on this. Having dealt tangentially with Alabama's, I know they are subject to influence from the company and politics. That's the only reasoning that I can come up with to justify the differences in the two rulings I was involved in. That, or it really takes 200% longer to put on a pair of coveralls, possibly over your work clothes depending on the season, than it does to strip down to your undies and put on a pair of pants and a shirt. I could see the some Saban and even Tommy Tupperware influence on any decision they make, whereas I could see Tennessee or another state going a different direction. Ultimately, I would guess it gets handled at the federal level, but you never know.

5. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

lmao

justingroves likes this.
  6. CardinalVol

Dang.

7. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Man, that defense is LIT! - VN level Florida Fans

8. CitrusCo.Vol

CitrusCo.Vol Member

So after seeing his qb competition during the spring, Saban is considering hitting the portal for a qb. Bless his heart, don't you just hate it for him.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

10. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Ty Simpson is not working out? Who could have seen that coming.

12. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

he played against the worst HS competition in the SE.

13. CardinalVol

14 plays from Colorado have entered the portal today. Up to 42 since Deion too over.

14. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Well, they were 1-11, so it's probably not too much of a loss for Colorado. However, it's going to be a little ugly in the meantime.

justingroves likes this.
  15. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Damn that's worse than the Marshall plane crash.

16. Ssmiff

“My son is the starting quarterback. But he’s gonna have to earn it.”

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not sustainable for CU

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I could be wrong but Deion just seems like an inevitable train wreck

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I remember watching him try to brag on himself about how hard he worked and his high demands by selling his sense of time. He was spinning a story of how, if his meeting was at 7, he expected the kids at 6:45 and he would begin at "6:53". Then, he said he kicked his son out of a meeting at Jackson State for coming in at 6:55 because "he was late". He thought it made him sound how organized and strict he was, but it simply sounded to me like a dude with some kind of massive ego doing arbitrary shit. If your meeting is at 7, why are you starting at 6:53? That's a 6:53 meeting.

It just struck me as some silly power game.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    lumberjack4 and IP like this.
  20. Ssmiff

I liked when he told the team no hats in meetings while wearing a flatbill and shades.

IP likes this.