Who we gunna git? Part 4

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by utvol0427, Jan 18, 2021.

1. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

My father grew up in Knoxville just across the river from the stadium in a small shack. He was drafted in the early 60’s. We would watch Vols games when we could in the armed forces network. I went to college later in my kid 20s and there was only one choice. I was a Vol fan before but after I started attending I became a die hard. God help me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  2. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I’m younger than most here I assume, born in the early 90s and grew up just outside of Nashville. My earliest memories, long before I could even comprehend the game of football, are colored with that beautiful Tennessee orange. Memories of families, friends and neighbors gathering that imprinted on me an innate sense of community and belonging. I quickly understood that Tennessee football was a way of expressing we are from Tennessee, and that was something to be damn proud of.

My 87 year old grandma and I still share our love of the Vols together. The same women that would set me straight as a boy when I started acting like a toddler on the rare occasions the Vols were losing. It’s keeping up with the Lady Vols even though I hate women’s basketball just because my mother and grandmother cherish that program. Feeling their love by following that program with them is awesome to me. In the event they are no longer with me and the Lady Vols win another national championship, I’ll cry like a baby not being able to call either to share in their joy. It’s placing an orange rose on my grandfather’s grave when I go visit him.

Tennessee football isn’t just a sports team I follow because it’s both my alma mater and college football team I like to cheer for. It’s home to me.

3. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

My Dad went to UT on GI Bill after Korean War. We lived by the railroad tracks in the old married student housing. Dad took me to my 1st game in 1957.

I went to UT on GI Bill after Vietnam.
    Lived in the Golf Range married student housing close to those same railroad tracks.

I've had 4 season tix for 40 yrs, 25 of those years in donation-required seats. I have a 4-5 hour one way trip to games.

I am pizzed and sad that they have pushed me to the point where I may actually say [uck fay] it. With all the great memories with kids, grandkids, friends it is hard for me to let go.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love that stretch on Blount Ave and the Vestal area. Rough around the edges, but a lot of varied history in those few miles.

justingroves and hohenfelsvol like this.
  5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I lived with a couple of friends in a house off Ave C fr a year or so

6. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

He was on Blount. Last time we drive down that street the small house was gone. Before it was torn down I think it was a cement or paving business office for some years.

Dad’s parents passed away early in his life. His mom passed when he was 12. His dad ran a check your guns at the door poker game until he passed away when dad was 17. I will not play poker with my dad. He learned some tricks on dealing and cards early in life.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I have a picture in my mind of where it must have been. I would bet that that street becomes upscaled residential high rises over the next 30 or so years.

8. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

We lived at Golf Range in ‘69-‘70 when my old man was getting his masters. Apartment K-16 and I still have a scar on my chin from slipping on those concrete steps... I remember Mr Luttrell and his goofy son, Lucky who was friends with my older brother and getting my tail whooped good when me & Richie Vey got caught watching the adult movie at the drive in theater back near the railroad tracks. I was all of 4 years old. Good times. When we came back in ‘72-73 for his PhD we lived at Deane Hill behind the mall. Not nearly as cool as Golf Range.

Poppa T and hohenfelsvol like this.
  9. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

We were there '75-'79. Good times!

Old AB Luttrell. RIP. What a wonderful man. He looked like Lloyd Bridges. Even wore the Sea Hunt captain hat and had a picture of Lloyd Bridges in his office.

We were in Q first floor. 1st night we moved in, had a knock at the door. It was AB. Introduced himself and ask me, "is your mother's name _________?" I said, "uh yes sir." He said, "you are ________. I said, "yes sir!". He said, "I know your Mom and Dad. I was the UT maintenance guy back then for the old Sutherland Village. I knew you when you were just a little guy." We had a great time talking about those days.

Lucky Luttrell was indeed wide open. I knew him well. He used to go backpacking with a few of us. We would go during the long break between Fall/Winter quarter. One trip he was working at a liquor warehouse and got us our liquor cheap. I was sad when a buddy called me to tell me Lucky had passed.

Small world. It is connections like this that make us a Volunteer Family.

Savage Orange likes this.
  10. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Wow... sorry to hear about Lucky... I remember he’d charge us little punks a quarter to take us around the complex in his Karmann Ghia... my brother will be sorry to hear that he’s passed.

Poppa T likes this.
  11. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

HA! That sounds like Lucky. He got cancer and sadly he passed before AB, his dad. It was a long time ago. I reached out to a friend to see if he remembers the year.

Savage Orange likes this.
  12. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Figured folks might get a chuckle out of bumping this dandy of a thread from when we first hired JH. My oh my how the over-reactive emotions were flowing in this conversation. So many of us-especially me imo-look totally unhinged and silly here in retrospect. I've never been happier to be so flat-out wrong with my initial feelings I expressed at the time judging a new coaching hire. So much years of Battered-Vol-Fan-Syndrome on display here.

It's as if Danny White knows a little bit more about college athletics than me/us.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Skimmed thru. Starting about page 90ish, geez.

14. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

More fun I think that he came in the low/no expectations and wildly exheeded them than a "home run" hire that dissapointed. I like him personally much more than the asshole Kelly.

15. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Shoot me

ole_orange, justingroves and Ssmiff like this.
  16. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

I'm still upset I never got a call back.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

there are some posts I see of mine and I’m like “did I really post that?”

Volsdude likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Guys, those were dark, dark days. You're still here.

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I have never been so happy to be so wrong.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Y’all are a bunch of damn morons

NorrisAlan likes this.