Both Transfer Portal Threads Merged

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Nov 29, 2022.

1. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Tim Banks has strung together many fireable afternoons beginning with Ole Miss and Purdue in '21. He's the biggest piece of dead weight on staff and he is in charge of the entire defense. Nearly all of the head scratchers we get from Heupel aren't make or break and seem to always work themselves out. The retention of Banks though gives off a major Hal Mumme vibe.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  2. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

The true art of managing organizations is not how you hire, it's how you fire. Firing is hard.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  3. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Yep. I expect Nico to be very good, but you’re not gonna hang around the top 5 all that much with a DC like Banks. Unless you start recruiting substantially better than they currently are.

A-Smith likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

It doesn't matter who you recruit if you surrender the field until the redzone.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

CB from Oregon state committed.

A-Smith likes this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Good, my porch mattress was too damp to light anyway

7. HCKevinSteele

I should have specified but I kinda meant recruiting overall, including offense. You can have just a so so defense that plays bend and don’t break if you have an unstoppable offense, but that’s obviously not a recipe for sustained success.

8. OneForVol

OneForVol Well-Known Member

Lmao. Well played,

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think you can have a bend/don't break defense unless you have a ball control offense. Any other combo and you are making the path to victory narrower.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Tennessee pretty much swapped Slaughter for this guy and McDonald for the MTSU safety. That's a good deal for Tennessee. The TE from Notre Dame is who they wanted too.

I think there's only room for one more HS recruit or portal add until after spring ball, which is probably going to be the WR Brazzell

BleedOrange12 and Memtownvol like this.
  11. HCKevinSteele

All things being equal. You don’t have to have a ball control offense if you score every time like 2022, but outside of that yeah.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was speaking to the defense. A "bend, but don't break" defense best pairs with a ball control offense. Any other offense, and it is making it harder to win. Even a "score nearly every time really fast" offense is not optimized, because the defense will get exhausted and you just end up in a shoot-out where low probability events can determine the outcome.

This defense should be a go-for-broke, risk-taking defense outside of the 20 yard line. And it is the opposite.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You score quickly most every possession, you force coaches to do stupid shit and bend/don't break defense can work. I don't like it but it can work.

LSU 2022 is a perfect example of pressuring a coach into doing stupid shit. Tennessee didn't let LSU hit a big play and Kelly panicked

A-Smith likes this.
  14. HCKevinSteele

Yeah I agree just in theory. But Groves post above is part of what I meant. Should have dropped Banks after this year, if it’s the same story next year Heupel probably won’t have much of a choice.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

17. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Got the Tulane receiver.

IP, SetVol13, NorrisAlan and 5 others like this.
  18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Brazzell is a freshman All-American. Really good get. I'd love to throw in Evan Stewart for Nico to have some real horses for his time as starter.

IP and TDVol1989 like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Matthews, Staley and Brazell for 3 years with Nico is nice.

IP, Volsdude and TDVol1989 like this.
  20. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I bet we get 2 of those 4 for only two years.

Poppa T and PilotFlyingJ like this.