National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by kptvol, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Basketvolsfan

Basketvolsfan Member

I really don't recall us winning any national championships while Manning, White, and Berry were on the hill. It's quite possible that we had other great players when Manning played, but, of course, we could never beat Florida. White was great his senior season, not so much prior to that season. Berry was a great player, but I don't remember us being a great team while he was there. Try again.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

he meant gradulations

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

He coached a couple games @ Cinncy right? They were a powerhouse that everyone feared?

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if jones repeates any of mannings or white's years next year, i'd imagine he'd be winning sec coach of the year.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I don't think so. The true fan shit was when people were supporting Dooley when he was getting his teeth kicked in. Here, we're attacking a coach who had 1 month to recruit because he didn't go out and grab a top 10 class. That's just as stupid and foolish as the "true fan argument."

6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Good news is, when I drive my dumb ass 950 miles one way, take 2 days off work, and spend $600+ on gas to watch a rare live game, tickets will be cheap again this year. Who has 4?

7. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Tickets have always been cheap.

8. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I disagree. Plenty of new coaches go out and get great classes. He's recruiting to the best facilities and the best football league in the United States.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If you honestly believe that he failed in this recruiting class, that's fine. I think that's incredibly stupid.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I think he did absolutely nothing to get us out of the downward spiral. Call it what you will.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No shit. No one expecting him to land some legendary class in 4 weeks. If the class looks similar next year, by all means, bash away. Under the circumstances, he did fine with this class.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Fine isn't what UT needs. UT's recruited fine the past few years.

13. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

No kidding. Again, saying he was expected to sign a top notch class in 4 weeks when Dooley had pretty much quit recruiting is about as stupid as it gets. Next year is the measuring stick.

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I am not saying I EXPECTED better. What I am saying --and what somee of us are angry about-- is that the right hire would have pulled a significantly better class. Gruden for one would have pulled a top 10 class. That's the issue. If believing the Gruden/Hart/Cheek tales makes me "stupid" then so be it. We needed a superstar to come in and save the day. We have Butch Jones instead.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Get the hell out. The result sucked, regardless of circumstance. The guy moves no needles. At this point in our history, it was a horrendous hire. It's not Hart's fault. If you think that's stupid, go **** yourself.

16. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Gruden is about the only hire. Let go of that fantasy.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

No he isn't. Plenty of new hires out recruit their circumstances. Ours didn't.

18. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Speaking of Gruden, you'ns will like this:

From ESPN:

Dobbs intends to major in aeronautical engineering at Tennessee, and Jones said the engineering department helped to recruit him. So, yeah, he's bright. Jones calls it "functional intelligence," something he looks for in all his QBs. During a visit, Jones said he intentionally tried to stump Dobbs by drawing up a complicated play, explaining it as quickly as possible, and then erasing it from a dry-erase board. A few minutes later, the coach handed the pen to Dobbs and asked him to recreate it. He did, flawlessly. Jones had tried to pull a Jon Gruden on Dobbs. Spider-3-Y-banana stuff. "He passed," Jones said. "Gruden would love him."

19. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Top ten? Very few.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

What?